Interested in getting my first turntable. How will it work with my setup?
Aug 19, 2016 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ninjames

I get people telling me I say dumb things all day.
So I have a Schiit Magni 2, Schiit Modi 2 and Hifiman HE-400 headphones. I'm also looking to get an end-game (for me) pair of closed headphones, likely the Oppo-PM3.

I was looking at the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable. I am incredibly new to this, I do not know what any of the terms mean. But I have a lot of vinyl that I'd like to try. I was wondering a few things.

Can headphones plug directly into this turntable without a computer being involved? Is the pre-amp that's built into the AT-LP120-USB something that could also power the HE-400 so the Magni+Modi don't need to move and can stay by my computer (where the turntable will likely not be)? The Oppo, as a pair that doesn't need amping -- could that plug right into the turntable? How is the turntable powered -- just a wall plug and therefore it can run without a computer or is a computer necessary?

Thanks for the help in advance. I want to get it right the first time. I'd like to know how all of this works without my Magni and Modi, what else I'd need to make it work WITH my Magni and Modi (or one or the other?) and any other things a newbie at this kind of thing would appreciate. I've got a few hundred I can splurge on myself and I'm going to take this opportunity to be lavish about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back