interested in buying my first hi-fi headphone
Mar 9, 2006 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

multikiwionaire

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been reading the forum for quite a while now because I've been interested in buying my first hi-fi headphone. Although I thought that my senn px200 sounded really good, from reading all the posts out there, it appears that there's something wrong with my definition of good sound
eek.gif
I'm not that good at catorgizing music as I am not too familar with the categories. I do know that I listen to orchestra (classical?) music, jpop
biggrin.gif
, anime bgm, and a little bit of everything else except for rap/hiphop/country. Anyway, I am looking for something that will be able to replace my px200 because I have found that they bother my ears quite a bit because they rest directly on them. I don't know if wearing glasses makes it any worse. Also, I am using the computer soundcard as a source (soundblaster) and the cord on the px200 just isn't very long. Because of that I am forced to use the headphone jack at the front of the computer. This causes a lot of buzzing noise that I don't get if I plug the headphone into jack at the back of the computer.

After reading the forum, I am considering 3 headphones that are mentioned many times in the forum that are in my price range: senn hd595, akg k701 and beyer dt880. One of the most important aspect of the headphone is comfort. From reading the forum, I think all these 3 cover that area pretty well.

However, I have no idea which one I should pick. At first I thought that I should get the 595s because I don't think I have the heart to spend so much more on an amp if I got either of the other two headphones. However, I also read that there were some people that 595s didn't perform to their expectation for the price they paid. At the same time though, I don't want to buy it and end up having to want more, regretting that I didn't buy the akg k701, which is getting praised left and right. (by the way, I know that the senn pads don't rest on the ears, I am wondering if the 701's pads rest on the ears).

I guess the question I am trying to ask is, if I don't intend on buying an amp at the moment, should I even bother trying 701 or 880, or would buying 595 be a better choice? I know that the 2006 model of 880 has a 32ohm version, but for the price I pay for that, I could easily get a 701 (I think). I have also read that even though 701 is low impedence, it is still very hard to drive. I don't know if my computer soundcard would be able to drive it. I just don't have the heart to pour another few hundred dollars on an amp (I know I won't be able to justify spending so much of my money on music to my parents :p).

Thanks =]

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 7
You should get the be all, end all Bose Triport!

Seriously though, out of the choices given, I would go for the HD595's. They are remarkably comfortable and you'll soon forget they're on your melon. They have most of the Sennheiser "magic" found in the higher models at a lower price. Advice you get here can be helpful, but I wouldn't buy anything on recommendation alone. Give them all a listen, and buy the one you like the most.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by multikiwionaire
At the same time though, I don't want to buy it and end up having to want more, regretting that I didn't buy the akg k701, which is getting praised left and right.

Don't make the mistake of trying to get the ultimate, end-all-be-all headphone. Some people can be content with one headphone, but you'll find that many more people have multiple headphones. All three headphones that you're considering are well regarded here as you know.

However, if you're afraid of getting stuck with something you don't like, either buy the headphone from a store that has a good return policy (e.g., Headroom or TTVJ), or buy a used one and if you don't like it, sell it for minimal to no loss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by multikiwionaire
(by the way, I know that the senn pads don't rest on the ears, I am wondering if the 701's pads rest on the ears).

The K701 is a circumaural headphone, so the pads do not rest on your ears like supraaural headphones.

Welcome to Head-Fi, by the way, and sorry about your wallet.

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
However, if you're afraid of getting stuck with something you don't like, either buy the headphone from a store that has a good return policy (e.g., Headroom or TTVJ), or buy a used one and if you don't like it, sell it for minimal to no loss.

This is really good advice. Since this is your first hi-fi headphone, you don't know what you will like or dislike when it comes to hi-fi sound. The HD595 is a very good place to start; it sounds good unamped and doesn't require too much fuss to produce good results, though you do need at least a decent soundcard and high bitrate or lossless music.

Then, if you find that you don't like the HD595 for whatever reason, you'll know where to go next. The DT880 is brighter than the 595 and airier; ir will give you a bit more detail and space around each instrument, but you'll lose some of that lovely warmth of tone. If, on the other hand, you want something warmer and with more weight and body, the HD650 will be right up your alley. If you'll discover that the 595 isn't exciting and toe-tapping enough, you'll probably enjoy going the Grado route, in which case there is an RS-1 out there with your name on it. And if you want more detail, then you'll probably dig the SA5000 or the Stax SR-404 or even the SR-007 (though once you go Stax, your wallet will be really hurting! You may think that it's crazy to spend $2k on headphones, another $2k on an amp, and $4k on the source and extra peripherals, but I guarantee that after a year on head-fi you'll seriously start thinking about this sort of system if you can swing it... and even if you can't
tongue.gif
).

You will be able to sell the HD595 here with only a small loss if you don't like it, so go ahead and get one.

The same, incidentally, applies to the DT880 and K701. But, I would go with the 595 because it's easier to drive, and then I'd see where to go from there.

Speaking of easy to drive - the 595 has two versions; the older version is 120 ohms impedance while the newer version is only 50 ohms. You'll want the newer version as it's definitely easier to drive. Be sure to check with the retailer as to what you're getting, since a lot of places won't give you the specifications.

P.S. Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 7
As you stated to listen to Jpop, I assume that you are situated in Japan. Why not head for the "Jack of all trades" Audiotechnica A900? It is able to handle a greater variety of styles than even the HD595, it has a HUGE soundstage (the HD595 has almost none), and it is very easy to drive.

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 7
I think catscratch made a really good explanation above.

It's true that the HD595 is a good place to start, and I also thought that HD595 had a little bit of everything but didn't excel in any area except the lovely female vocals (compared to other in the price range). You can get better bass from HD580/600, better midrange from AKG K501/601, and better detail from the likes of DT880. Plus, I noticed that my HD595 exhibited a little grain in its sound reproduction.

Therefore, it is very likely for you to upgrade (means spending more money) if you get the HD595.
Getting an AKG K701 / DT880 has a better chance to satisfy you for a longer time IMO. For these two, I think an amp will be needed.

EDITED

Users who are viewing this thread

Back