interconnects, tweaks to tighten bass?
Aug 4, 2005 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
I changed the transformer in my power conditioner this summer and now my system has too much bass. I would appreciate some recomendations on things that would reduce the bass quantity or make it tighter. Please note what you are comparing to when making a recommendation.

Thanks,

Biggie.

Aug 4, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 41
Not really a tweak per se, but maybe silver?

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Not really a tweak per se, but maybe silver?

I'm already using a great silver cable. Its like other silver cables, except with actual mids and no hint of brightness.

Biggie.

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I'm already using a great silver cable. Its like other silver cables, except with actual mids and no hint of brightness.

hehe... you still using the Grovers? I have some for review and I hope to _finally_ have time to give them a listen this weekend.
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 41
I have experience with over 10 mid to high end interconnects. I've tried every type of wire except palladium. I'm looking for very specific recommendations backed with comparisons, to get a point of reference.

Biggie.

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 41
have you tried gold alloy? if not give that a shot, there is also Carbon.

You should dismiss silver plated copper as I have discovered different awg will yield different sound. Not all of them sound the same.

Aug 4, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
have you tried gold alloy? if not give that a shot, there is also Carbon.

You should dismiss silver plated copper as I have discovered different awg will yield different sound. Not all of them sound the same.

Yes I have.

You guys are killing me. I will stick to Audiogon and Audioasylum for answers to this question heh.

Biggie.

Aug 4, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Yes I have.

You guys are killing me. I will stick to Audiogon and Audioasylum for answers to this question heh.

Biggie.

If you are generally happy with your cables and don't really want to buy new ones, I recommend trying one of the contact enhancers, Walker SST (Extreme) or Quicksilver.

One of the benefits, among others, is significant improvement in bass definition and tight impact. It's like going from hitting your stomach with a wooden hammer vs. steel hammer.

I have only tried Walker SST Extreme, and it does wonders for bass quality. Make sure you use it on All contacts, including AC plugs, fuse ends, etc.

Since you mentioned Palladium, I will tell you that one interconnect I have that has even more bass definition than good silver is Aural Thrills Air Palladium (non active). In fact, it may be slightly on the lean side as far as bass quantity from perfect neutral, but worth a shot if that's what you're looking for.

Aug 5, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 41
Hi Jon,

What are the sonic characteristics on palladium? I haven't really seen much talk about it, other then how 'bling' it is. :p

I don't really like the idea of those silver contact enhancers. How careful you have to be when applying it, and the freezer storage, and the removal of crude and then reapplying every so often. It will be there to tempt me though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Hi Jon,

What are the sonic characteristics on palladium? I haven't really seen much talk about it, other then how 'bling' it is. :p

I don't really like the idea of those silver contact enhancers. How careful you have to be when applying it, and the freezer storage, and the removal of crude and then reapplying every so often. It will be there to tempt me though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

The Aural Thrills one uses 30 awg solid core pure palladium for signal and solid core silver for return. When comparing this with other Aural Thrills IC's that use Gold and gold alloy for signal (still silver return), Palladium has the most solid and resolute midrange. It's richer/denser midrange than silver but much more precise and detailed than copper or gold. One could say it's got the density and richness of gold plus resolution of silver. Palladium treble is cleaner and clearer than copper or gold/gold alloy but not "upward" sounding or obviously airy like some silver.

Bass is the most defined of all with very, very solid definition.

As far as SST Extreme, I had same concerns as you, but it turned out to be no big deal. I've treated dozens of contacts so far, including IC's, speaker cables, power cords, fuses. And I've plugged, unplugged many times, and sometimes reapplied SST to same places. I've even used it on my precious tube pins, including my dear AVVT AV32B, National Union Grey glass VT231.

It's also easy to clean it off if you want. Isopropyl rubbing alcohol easily removes SST Extreme.

I wrote a review of SST Extreme here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...ic.php?t=20455

Aug 5, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #12 of 41
EQ... that's what it's for.

See ya
Steve

Aug 5, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #13 of 41
rnb180 is on the right track - smaller gauge single core should do the trick, i prefer copper core with silver plated copper as the return/shield, like the VH Audio Pulsars. However, I think a big part of why their bass is so tight and tuneful is because of the eichmann bullets. I personally have noticed more of a sonic difference between connectors vs. the actual wire itself, or at least to me the differences are more apparent between different connectors vs. different wires (i.e same wire but different terminations sounds more different than same terminations but different wire).

With that in mind, you might want to try out some eichmann's if you haven't already, the silvers will go more towards what you are looking for in your bass. I don't mess around with any of those alloy like gold or palladium, silver should do the trick.

I second Jon L's rec. as well for the walker sst - that stuff works great, will tigthen up that bass probably more than any other cable you could buy since you have so many. What kind of vibration control stuff do you employ, especially for you cdp/transport? Might want to pick up some cheap vibrapods and see if that does the trick

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

EQ... that's what it's for.

Oh wow, I looked in the manual of my uber moddifed teac cd player and to my suprise, it doesn't have an eq! Hmm maybe I should sell it and buy an iPod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
rnb180 is on the right track - smaller gauge single core should do the trick, i prefer copper core with silver plated copper as the return/shield, like the VH Audio Pulsars. ....

With that in mind, you might want to try out some eichmann's if you haven't already, the silvers will go more towards what you are looking for in your bass. I don't mess around with any of those alloy like gold or palladium, silver should do the trick.

... What kind of vibration control stuff do you employ, especially for you cdp/transport? Might want to pick up some cheap vibrapods and see if that does the trick

I've tried correctly weighted sorbathane footers under my cd player to no effect. I've also had 28guage copper ic's and their bass was still very present and full. However I have never owned an interconnect with bullet plugs so that is something to consider.

Biggie.

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Oh wow, I looked in the manual of my uber moddifed teac cd player and to my suprise, it doesn't have an eq! Hmm maybe I should sell it and buy an iPod.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back