interconnects questions
Mar 9, 2006 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AsuAmo76

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 27, 2003
Posts
354
Likes
10
A) If I have 3-wires cable and I use non-balanced RCA setup, what should I do?

1) parallel 2 wires for the ground line;
2) parallel 2 wires for the signal line;
3) connect 3-d line to ground on source side only;
4) leave 3-d line free (remove if possible).

B) If I have interconnects with one silver and one ofc wire, which is better to use for signal line?

1) silver;
2) ofc.

Thanks.
 
Mar 9, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 5

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
Joined
Jun 21, 2001
Posts
13,874
Likes
14
Depends on your requirements and if you are in a strong RFI/EMI field or not.

Usually best sonic performance is had with unshielded interconnects (personal opinion) so in that case I would skip using the shield and just use the two actual wires inside the jacket.

If the run a long one however (20'+) or passes to areas with strong EMI/RFI then a true sheild would be peretty much a "must have" in an unbalanced line and would in that case use the single conductor and shield then "float" the ground entirely,no connection to shield.

Under no condition conceivable would I personally tie the ground shield to one of the wires used as a ground

OFC or Silver ?

totally goes to taste and that is an argument that rages internet wide so I am not touching it (other than to say I personally prefer small guage solid copper and a good 24 AWG one can be pulled from the center of Beldon coax cable that will whip many expensice audio cables
wink.gif
)
 
Mar 9, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 5

AsuAmo76

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 27, 2003
Posts
354
Likes
10
rickcr42, I share your opinion about shielded interconnects. However, I am not talking about shielded cables. I just happened to have couple of good balanced cables - one of them has 3 copper wires, another one - two copper and one silver. They will work either way, but we are all head-fiers here...
tongue.gif
 
Mar 9, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 5

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
Joined
Jun 21, 2001
Posts
13,874
Likes
14
Quote:

rickcr42, I share your opinion about shielded interconnects. However, I am not talking about shielded cables. I just happened to have couple of good balanced cables - one of them has 3 copper wires, another one - two copper and one silver. They will work either way, but we are all head-fiers here...


pretty cool !

In that case I would use them as headphone extension cords and put a TRS jack at one end and a TRS plug at the other and dance around the house.

If interconnect duty is a must then taking a page from the Kimber PBJ two grounds/one hot with the silver wire being ""hot" in that one then do my own comparing by ear and keep the good one and pawn the other off for big $$$$$
wink.gif
 
Mar 9, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 5

AsuAmo76

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 27, 2003
Posts
354
Likes
10
Quote:

In that case I would use them as headphone extension cords and put a TRS jack at one end and a TRS plug at the other and dance around the house.


With two feet long cords I will need VERY small house.
icon10.gif


Quote:

then taking a page from the Kimber PBJ two grounds/one hot with the silver wire being ""hot" in that one then do my own comparing by ear and keep the good one and pawn the other off


Got it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top