Interconnects...question about capacitance
Jun 26, 2007 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Fafner

500+ Head-Fier
While waiting for my B-52 to arrive, I'm choosing some balanced interconnects to link it to my Marantz SA-7S1. Following some reviews, I've come to the conclusion of buying cables from Vacuum State. They produce two types of cables: one with an high capacitance and ultra-low inductance, the other one with a very low capacitance and a medium inductance.
Following some guides on the net, I'm quite confused...some say that if the source has a very low source impedance (my player has 47Ohm), then it shouldn't be a problem. Other say that a low capacitance is mandatory for a distorsion-free audio experience. The manufacturer says that is the equipment can accept an high capacitance, these cables will perform better than the other ones.
But...what to choose? Any ideas?

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 8
when it says high capacitance, how high are we talking? i can't imagine a cable having more than picofarads of capacitance unless it's got capacitors in it. the capacitance at the connection joint will be a lot greater, but the signal will be seeing capacitances at the input of the amplifier, and travelling thru bypass caps in the order of microfarads, and at audio frequency, i don't think it has any effect. i've never heard of any equipment which doesn't accept "high capacitance" in the form of a cable.

i reckon u'll be fine

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 8
He doesn't give any values...the only thing he says is that the high capacitance cable is manufactured with silver foils, the other one with silver wires. He doesn't say anything about capacitors, thus the cable shouldn't have any.
Considering how luch the output impedance of my player is and the short cable's length (1m), the "roll-off" problem should be far, far away. But surfing on the net I noticed that some sites refer to another factor which is confusing me. They say that high capacitance cables slow-down the source's voltage variation speed, introducing distortion in the sound. This should be important expecially in source-amp interconnects...but then the most obvious thing I may ask myself is...why should one build high capacitante interconnects?

This is what he says...
The straight answer is that neither design is better than the other—they are just different and perform to their optimum in different situations, and with different equipment. The SilverFoil design has a high capacitance/ultra low inductance topology with superb tonal balance across the range, and a stunning bass end. But it’s high capacitance requires the very best circuits in the driving stage of the signal sending unit—and many very highly rated machines are honestly just not up to it. In contrast, and with (otherwise superb) equipment that cannot drive the SilverFoils to their optimum, the SilverWires with their very low capacitance/medium inductance can have even more apparent resolution but may sound less full in the bass.

I mailed him asking if what he means is strictly related to the "roll-off" problem due to high output impedances...I guess he'll reply today...

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 8
I explained the design of the solver foil cable to an electrician I know (who also happens to be a stereophile and DIY dabbler) and his first response was, "Oh, then it's like a giant capacitor." IMO, buy the foil cables and if they cause instability in your system, then return them (assuming that you're allowed to).

Btw, the Grover S cables look like they're a silver foil design and markl wrote a very positive review of them. You could get a pair of those for much cheaper.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 8
Allen Wright (the manufacturer) replied me yesterday. Considering that my player's output impedance is very low and that Marantz's output stages are high current stages (he knows this as he's working on some upgrades on lesser expensive Marantz models), he suggested me the foil design instead of the wire one.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Does someone know what are the advantages of a cable with a high capacitance, assuming that the source can tolerate it?

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does someone know what are the advantages of a cable with a high capacitance, assuming that the source can tolerate it?

There are no inherent advantages to more capacitance except for possibly shunting RF noise. The higher capacitance of some cables is just a result of another design factor. In the cables you mentioned, it has to do with the choice of foil conductors.
You might ask the designer why he prefered foils in that particular design. I bet the answer will have to do with skin effect. The same concept is used by many manufacturers and there are DIY formulas floating around as well. The most "interesting" of these is the copper tape cable. Worth a try, just for the sheer curiosity factor...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back