Interconnects for Bifrost
Jan 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ddcpitt

100+ Head-Fier
I have searched in the forums and via Google and have not found an answer. Hoping that someone here can help.

I just purchased a Schiit Bifrost (waiting for it to arrive) for use with my Schiit Asgard, Emotiva Pro Airmotiv 5 monitors, and my numerous headphones. I am confused as to what types of cable interconnects I need to connect the Bifrost to the Asgard and to the Airmotiv 5s.

I know Schiit's Pyst cables are RCA analog cables, but I have read that digital coaxial RCA cables can carry both digital and analog signals. Obviously, the Bifrost is converting the digital signals from the PC to analog signals that that an amplifier can amplify, but can digital coaxial RCA cables carry those analog signals, too?

I have considered just getting the Pyst cables to connect the Bifrost to the Asgard, but I will need longer cables to connect the Bifrost to the Airmotiv 5s. I am considering getting digital coaxial RCA cables from Monoprice since their analog RCA cables are 2RCA to 2RCA cables. 2RCA to 2RCA analog cables could work between the Bifrost and the Asgard, but not between the Bifrost and Airmotiv 5s since the monitors are a few feet apart.

Thank you very much for your help!

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 4
**friendly bump**

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 4
The main difference between regular rca and coax cables is that coax cables have an impedance of 75ohms and regular RCA want as low as possible.

You should try to use coax cables for digital connections to ensure best signal transfer. For analog lines, it isn't as critical if you use the coax cables, though in some very rare cases I can see where you might get signal loss or possibly heat issues.

In any event, many rca cables can simply be pulled and split apart when needed.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 4
Coax cables are just fine for analog audio. Take a look at the Blue Jeans Cables web site for a discussion about this issue.

When I bought my subwoofer cable from them a few years ago, the only difference between that and their SPDIF cable was that the sub cable came with purple boots on the plugs and the SPDIF version came with orange boots...that was it.

The gist of it is that you don't want to use a twisted pair cable meant for low frequency (audio) signals for digital signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back