Interconnects - 3wire, 4wire, other? What's the best wire config?
Feb 6, 2009 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Good Times

Member of the Trade: Krispy Kables
I'm going to DIY a LOD to RCA interconnect using 22g coated silver single strand. I thought I was set with 3 wire (going to 2 at each RCA) but then started reading about drain wires, or dual wire (per polarity) and that.

So now I'm confused. Typical!

Any suggestions. Nothing came up in a search, so still unsure.

So at this stage would use common ground and L+R positive for most of the cable, then split the ground at the RCA plug ends. Would be easy to add a drain wire if necessary......

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 12
whao whao, first of all. dont be splitting any ground wires.......you want a seperate ground for each channel / RCA connector.

How are you making the cable? are you braiding it yourself? or are you buying premade cable?

If making it yourself I suggest atleast 3 wires per channel, signal ground and drain. or if braiding I recommend 4 wires per channel, 2 signal and 2 ground (or negative signal if balanced). but definitely don't split the ground wire at the connectors........

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 12
Ah of course, because they should be equal length yeah?

Yes I want to make myself (prob order most components from qables) and so will braid as well (Litz style).

The only issue I'll face is that I want it to fit an LOD adaptor, which has a max opening of 8mm for cable. (Qables | High Quality Custom Made Qables)

Or should I just use the iPod dock and then make up a 3.5mm to RCA interconnect?

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 12
Depends if you want to use it portably or not. if its not for portable use, I would advise against using the ipod all together.........actually I'd advice against it either way but especially if its not for portable use.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 12
Home use so not portable. I'm also using a CD source but enjoy the flexibility of the iPod hence my requirements...

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #6 of 12
I don't (nor want to) have the tools to work with coax
frown.gif

I'm now thinking that perhaps I should just try for a quad cable to keep it simple.....

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 12
Get some Starquad and be done with it. There really is no need for a drain wire for your lod.
Have fun building one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 12
He's joking, duh.
Same goes for the silver solder, that makes no difference at all.
Oh hi there, do I hear a placebo effect knocking on the door? Oh please, come on in!

simple 60/40 solder will do just fine.

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 12
If he's using an ipod for source at home.....won't really matter what he uses as the ipod is his limiting factor in the chain.....I would HIGHLY recommend refraining from using the ipod as a source in a high quality headamp scenario....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back