Interconnect Recommendations Please!!
Mar 6, 2003 at 1:07 AM Post #31 of 40
Actually, I think Monster's video cables are great. I use their Z-Series for my cable-TV signal and for the component out of my DVD player.

Yes, the Z-series are some of the more expensive Monster stuff. I do agree with you though, that Monster's low-priced ICs, such as the Interlink 200/300/400 variety are not worth much.

Mark

Mar 6, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #32 of 40
Nefarion and others. . .

I haven't heard the NAD 541, but isn't it actually supposed to err on the warm side of neutral? Is it possible that your cabling may be tricking you into thinking that the player is bright?

If this is true, I would definately err toward at least a neutral sounding cable, as oppposed to a warmish one.

Having said that, here are MY recommendations, based on what I've heard:

Good warmish:
1. Kimber 1010/1011--great detailed, quiet, slightly warm sound, can be had for $250 or so per meter used.
2. Acoustic Zen Matrix--used on Audiogon for $300/meter or so. I haven't heard these, but I have the AZ Silver Reference IIs, which supposedly have similar familial qualities.
3. Cardas Cross/Golden Cross--the Golden Cross will likely have the best soundstaging of the Cardas cables in your system (at least it did in my system).

Good neutral:
1. Cardas Neutral Reference--very neutral, yet revealing cable. Not the most interesting soundstaging (more pin-point precise, but not much layering or 3D dimensions to the sound--at least in my system), but possibly one of the most accurate cables out there.
2. There are others out there that I've heard, but none that I've heard and can recommend in your price range.

The fatwyre listening deal I know is very enticing--I did it. However, you may be interested to know that I didn't end up keeping ANY cables that I heard from them--because they wanted much more for a higher quality cable than I could afford. After having bought several pairs of cables used on Audiogon, I think its really the best way for anyone on limited funds to get the best cables for the money, because you often are able to get them for close to 1/2 to 2/3 off full retail price. My advice would be to research well before you buy and then make sure that you buy a REPUTABLE cable off of Audiogon which has a good resale value. If you try the cable and don't like it, you can sell it for little if any loss. Then take your same money and try a different one. If funds allow, purchase two used cables and then sell the one you like least. It may take a little more time for you to find "the right" cable this way, but in the long run you'll end up with a better cable for the same money than you would have if you'd paid close to full retail price.

Finally, while there ARE relative bargains out there in cables, my experience to this point has been that in cabling, as well as most things in life, the higher the value of the cable, the better it is likely to sound. This certainly isn't ALWAYS true, but I have to tell you that I've tried a BUNCH of cables in my system(s) and usely the cheaper one is the one which DOESN'T stay. If this is true, then you're certainly better off buying used.

Mar 6, 2003 at 1:19 PM Post #33 of 40
Thanks so much for the feedback dparrish. Yes, I have thought it over and after extensive audiogon browsing.. It seems 50% off is the usual discount on good cables. Buying interconnects used isnt as big of a deal as say, a cdp.

I honestly couldnt tell you for sure whether the NAD c541i is bright or warm. The only thing I have as a reference other than the NAD are dvd players, which dont stand up to the task. The NAD seems less bright and fatiqueing than them. But I have read 3 - 4 semi-professional reviews on it and they all said the same thing, it is somewhat bright.. but just barely on the bright side. But like I said, I couldnt tell you for sure yet.

I just found out the company Linn who makes generally the best cdp's out there is located right down the street from me. I'm going to have to go down there and audition the best sometime (if they will let me
smily_headphones1.gif
).. Then I should have a good idea of a perfect reference.

My top contendors for used cables are Cardas Golden Reference, Cardas Golden Cross and the Cardas Nuetral Reference. I'm confident I will be happy with either of the 3.

If I need to save money I'll probably just snag a somewhat temporary(secondary) cable. Like the zu-varial for $200 new at ebay.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want/need. I await the cash flow
cool.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by dparrish
Finally, while there ARE relative bargains out there in cables, my experience to this point has been that in cabling, as well as most things in life, the higher the value of the cable, the better it is likely to sound. This certainly isn't ALWAYS true, but I have to tell you that I've tried a BUNCH of cables in my system(s) and usely the cheaper one is the one which DOESN'T stay. If this is true, then you're certainly better off buying used. [/B]

it's good to hear from somebody with experience....What are the bargains that you found ? Of course, every afordable cable producer is claiming that his cables will outperform the much more expensive competition.... it has to be some BS about that, but aren't the markups on a lot of cables outrageous? there are no honest producers out there?

Mar 7, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #35 of 40
grohan,

Keep in mind that there are still a LOT of cables out there that I haven't heard. But, when I did the thing with Fatwyre, I listened to most of the major names in cables. Among these, I felt that the following had some particularly good values:

1. Cardas's lower-priced cables--Microtwin 300B, for instance, as well as Cross, and especially Neutral Reference. Cardas really doesn't make bad cables. Their cables don't receive the hype that others do, but they've got an excellent line from top to bottom.

2. Analysis Plus--pretty good sound for the money (I tried the Silver Oval I think). Mind you, I didn't purchase these--my tastes were overcome by the wonderful sound (as opposed to good) sound of more expensive cables.

3. JPS--I heard the FX and thought they were quite good for the price. They remind me of my Kimber 1011s, just a little less refined.

4. Tara Labs--Air was quite good. Generally, I found Tara's cables to be a bit more interesting in their soundstaging than Cardas cables of the same cost, but not quite as refined sounding either.

5. I would recommend that anyone looking for good value to check out the Acoustic Zen line. I just received the Silver Reference IIs and think very highly of them. Although I haven't heard their lower-priced models, based on my own experience and reviews I've read, I think their lower-priced cables would be worth looking into (WOW and Matrix).

6. Kimber Select 1011. I own these! A new pair will cost you $450, and you can find them used (if you wait patiently) for $250. In my system and to my ears, I think they are quite good-quiet, detailed, warm, and with an interestingly layered front-to-back soundstage. I would love to hear Kimber Selects more expensive cables, but haven't yet.

I've also heard MIT (didn't care for them) and Wireworld (liked these better than MIT, but not by much
frown.gif
) And there's alot I haven't heard--Harmonic Tech, Zu, Synergestic Research, the list goes on. . .

Anyway, cable choices are always system dependent as well as user dependent, as we all have different preferences. My advice is to research and then listen to some to see how they stack up against your preferences. And be careful that you don't listen to something too expensive, for you may find yourself looking for ways to afford it!!

Mar 7, 2003 at 1:39 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by dparrish
grohan,

And be careful that you don't listen to something too expensive, for you may find yourself looking for ways to afford it!!

that is sooo true!
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for the post. very informative.

Mar 17, 2003 at 4:29 AM Post #37 of 40
Nefarion,

Just wondering how the search for interconnects is going. I'm always interested in other MG Head owner's experience with cables and tweaks. Keep us posted.

Mar 17, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #38 of 40
Yeah, I lost my job a week ago (i quit actually because of circumstances i dont want to get into). Finances are way too tight right now to worry about cables. Ive got a new job lined up (starting within 6 months) making many times what I was making before. So I still plan to eventually get some good IC's.

For now, to budget.. I ordered a pair of outlaws. Just put my order in today.

I was planning on getting some cardas golden references though...When I do I'll report on my findings!(just dont hold your breath
wink.gif
)

Mar 17, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #39 of 40
eek.gif
, that stinks. I am happy to hear that you have found a new job. Several of my friends haven't been so lucky and they have been out of a job for over 4 months with nothing on the horizon.

Well, keep us posted. I'd be interested to know how the Outlaws work out - they've gotten rave reviews.

Mar 17, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #40 of 40
From the Cable Company's Website:
Quote:

"The key to our service is The Cable Library, where our customers can borrow cable samples... from over 60 cable manufacturers for evaluation where it counts, in your own system......A deposit equal to 10% of the selling price (minimum $50.00) of the borrowed cables will be charged to the consumer's credit card when the arrangements for the initial cable loan are made. This deposit is not refundable, but will be applied in full against purchases (cable or non-cable products) from The Cable Company "

I've purchased a number of cables from them (solely on advice from them) with complete success. Great bunch of people to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back