Interconnect Impact on Electrical Waveform Lab with Results
May 10, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #106 of 114
For me audibility is determined by a series of ABX tests, nor matter what the test results say.

Great effort myinitialsaredac abd thanks for the response
beerchug.gif

May 10, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #107 of 114

[size=medium]

Quote:
The purpose of the comment was to indicate that there is no guarantee that you are currently measuring the factors actually responsible for attributed sonic differences.
What is this "high frequency shift" to which you refer?  

Take a look at the green line and the yellow line and note the deviation. The delta is a shift of the signal at a very high frequency (Mhz range). Ive said it many time that this experiment was to quantify electrical differences and nothing else. 

To measure existence of attributed sonic differences is a different experiment and always has been. 

So why did I bother with this experiment then? It provides background data that may play a role in explaining whether or not cables provide an audible difference and it demonstrates that there are electrical differences at some frequency that is probably near the bandwidth limit of the cables involved though I am not a transmission line expert or even an EE. 
[/size]

May 10, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #109 of 114

Quote:
[size=medium] Take a look at the green line and the yellow line and note the deviation. The delta is a shift of the signal at a very high frequency (Mhz range). Ive said it many time that this experiment was to quantify electrical differences and nothing else. [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] To measure existence of attributed sonic differences is a different experiment and always has been. [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] So why did I bother with this experiment then? It provides background data that may play a role in explaining whether or not cables provide an audible difference and it demonstrates that there are electrical differences at some frequency that is probably near the bandwidth limit of the cables involved though I am not a transmission line expert or even an EE. [/size]

Hey I never questioned the validity or value of your quest.  I simply wondered why you chose to measure what you did, and not some other parameter?  Given your choice, how convinced are you that you've chosen to measure the specific parameter that is responsible for the differences people hear?

May 11, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #110 of 114

Quote:
Hey I never questioned the validity or value of your quest.  I simply wondered why you chose to measure what you did, and not some other parameter?  Given your choice, how convinced are you that you've chosen to measure the specific parameter that is responsible for the differences people hear?

Not saying you did, but you did ask "What is this "high frequency shift" to which you refer?" so i was just trying to answer that part 
wink_face.gif

Im not convinced at all. It wasnt intended to demonstrate audible differences, only to begin to establish whether or not there are quantifiable differences between cables. In that respect it was successful. 

dac

May 11, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #111 of 114

Quote:
Not saying you did, but you did ask "What is this "high frequency shift" to which you refer?" so i was just trying to answer that part 
wink_face.gif

Im not convinced at all. It wasnt intended to demonstrate audible differences, only to begin to establish whether or not there are quantifiable differences between cables. In that respect it was successful. 

dac

I still suspect there are yet other quantifiable differences that we haven't learned to measure yet.  Our instrumentation is capable, but we have not looked under the right haystack yet for the right needle.  Good luck!

May 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #112 of 114

Quote:
I still suspect there are yet other quantifiable differences that we haven't learned to measure yet.  Our instrumentation is capable, but we have not looked under the right haystack yet for the right needle.  Good luck!

Good luck with that one and hold on to your dream
wink_face.gif

May 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #113 of 114

Quote:
Hey I never questioned the validity or value of your quest.  I simply wondered why you chose to measure what you did, and not some other parameter?  Given your choice, how convinced are you that you've chosen to measure the specific parameter that is responsible for the differences people claim to hear?

Intentional error corrected above. The tests are interesting but I think we really need to look in the audible range. There is no point at all in hypothesising unknown  variables to explain something until you can verify the something in the first place. Since nobody to date has ever passed a DBT between two normal unbroken analog cables there is no something to investigate, yet. If somebody had managed this you could then look at the existing known variables on which the two differed and alter them (one at a time) until you found the variable (or possibly combination) that was responsible. Should you be unable to find an existing variable repsonsible then you can hypothesise, model and test.....but establish a difference before any of this you must do first.

May 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #114 of 114

Quote:
Intentional error corrected above. The tests are interesting but I think we really need to look in the audible range. There is no point at all in hypothesising unknown  variables to explain something until you can verify the something in the first place. Since nobody to date has ever passed a DBT between two normal unbroken analog cables there is no something to investigate, yet. If somebody had managed this you could then look at the existing known variables on which the two differed and alter them (one at a time) until you found the variable (or possibly combination) that was responsible. Should you be unable to find an existing variable repsonsible then you can hypothesise, model and test.....but establish a difference before any of this you must do first.

I mostly agree with you Nick.  Right on!  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back