Intentionally unbalanced Headphones Computer Gaming
Jan 23, 2012 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kent1146

100+ Head-Fier
All-

I am hoping to get some help looking for headphones for use while computer gaming.  I am specifically looking for a rich, visceral sound from my headphones on a budget of $100 - $150.

My current setup is:
Computer --> Creative X-Fi PCI sound card ----> (outputs 5.1 sound via digital coax) ---> Astro MixAmp -->  (Dolby Headphone downmixes 5.1 --> 2.0)  -->  Audio Technica ATH-A900 headphones, or Etymotic ER-4P

The problem is that the Audio Technica A900's and Etymotic ER-4Ps sound a little too sterile for me.  They do not deliver the kind of in-your-face "oomph" that I am looking for in gaming headphones.  I will not be listening to music through these headphones, just doing PC gaming with Dolby Headphone virtualized surround sound.  Because of that, things like monitor-quality neutral reproduction of sound is not a priority.

I don't like Sennheiser headphones for this purpose (too laid back).
I don't like Grado headphones for this purpose (too in-your-face, gives me headaches)
I don't like Beats by Dr. Dre for this purpose, because I enjoy not being an uneducated fool.

I'm thinking of something like Klipsch Image One headphones.  How do you think those would do?  Any other suggestions?

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 5
They work extremely well with Dolby Headphone and have an aggressive sound. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back