Integrating a subwoofer into open headphone setups: Awesome!
Jan 18, 2006 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NotJeffBuckley

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello hello, ladies (?) and gentlemen.

I've recently done some calculations to integrate my subwoofer into my headphone setup. I use HD650, which aren't bass deficient by any means, but I'll address that as I move on.

The method used is the FooBar Channel Mixer plugin, output through a M-Audio Revolution 5.1 into an amp and my HD650 headphones. I measured the distance between the sub and my listening position and came up with a measurement that allowed me to tune the delay in ms to accurately line up with the reproduction from the headphones.

We all love headphones, that much is certain, but we also all agree that there's something visceral missing - the sound can have impact, yes, but we have evolved through the years to hear with our bodies, not just our ears. What good is the sound if there is no feel? (Well, it's really good, anyone can tell you that, but I for one miss the feeling offered by a good speaker setup).

No more! Adding a quality subwoofer can give you back the viscerality offered by speakers while still maintaining the intimacy and relative sound quality per dollar of headphone listening.

Set a 24db/octave crossover at 80dB on each, position the sub in a neutral location, be prepared to measure considerably to adjust for phase and delay, and boom: you've got tactile sensation where once you had only sound. Obviously, best results are achieved through good equipment on both ends, but a good sub (+/-3db from ~23hz to 80hz) doesn't break the bank (a great, excellent, or immaculate one does, though, so take that as you will) like a good full-range speaker setup.

Anyone else use this? I understand it's fairly common with AKG K1000 thanks to their defficient low bass, but every open headphone can benefit both sonically and in a tactile sense from this combination.

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 13
It's definitely an interesting idea. I believe I've read of others here doing something similar in the past. I would think a sub plus closed or in-ear 'phones (w/out cutting off the bass to the 'phones) would give you some of the same feeling and make phase matching less important - maybe easier to set up, but with a bit less pay-off...

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 13
How did you measure the delay? The only easy way I can currently think of this is to mic an isolated sound played at what the computer thinks is simultaneously, and then record into the studio software of your choice. Then have the software measure the delay between the two notes to the millionth decimal place.

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider
How did you measure the delay? The only easy way I can currently think of this is to mic an isolated sound played at what the computer thinks is simultaneously, and then record into the studio software of your choice. Then have the software measure the delay between the two notes to the millionth decimal place.

Nothing as complicated as that. Measure in meters between your listening spot and the subwoofer, then run a calculation to find out the delay in ms given the speed of sound (average 330m/sec at room temperature). Phase adjustments are more complicated, but I've gotten a pretty good feel for them and I just do them by hand and ear rather than calculating them (which has to take into account all room measurements, any large obstacles in the wavepaths, etc.)

I'm marveling at how nice this sounds - it's the biggest listening pleasure increase I've ever had, barring headphone paradigm shifts (like HD280 to HD650, for example). I can't recommend this enough.

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 13
Get speakers!

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63
Get speakers!

I have speakers. This offers a blend of the experiences; all the immediacy, intimacy, and detail of headphones, with their relative sonic merits, while still maintaining the visceral, you-feel-it-and-hear-it aspect of speakers.

If I had known how well this would work and sound (and if I didn't need to share my music and watch movies occasionally) I would have skipped speakers entirely and just set up headphones + subwoofer.

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 13
I've done this a little bit, and it was pretty cool. Didn't bother with any calculations, I just earballed the sub level to match my cans.

Eh, now I'm curious about it again, turning up the subs...

Oh yah, that's the stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
Makes my HD-600s feel a good bit more visceral, while retaining the intimacy that my speakers can't pull off. Kinda wish I wasn't too lazy to do calculations, though, because I can't seem to get perfect synergy, and it comes across as a little bit confused, in the upper bass region.

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel
Loopsider, where did you find those quotes in your sig? That's hilarious!!!

I think it was a discussion about sound formats. I laughed hysterically when I read that one, brought to you by mkozlows.

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 13
For perspective, mkozlows was joking. The thread was in the Computers as Source forum and degraded into a jokefest about stupid tweaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back