Integrated volume control crackling/causing static (Sennheiser PC 360)
Jan 5, 2014 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kcups

New Head-Fier
Hi guys - new here and looking for a little help,

I've had my Sennheiser PC 360s for a little over a year and in the last few months or so I've noticed that the volume control on the right ear cup causes some slight crackling/static when I adjust the volume (mainly towards the upper end of the spectrum, like between 80-100%). I think it's affecting the left ear cup as well because sometimes sound feels weaker in my left ear.

I was wondering if anything can be done to remove the crackling, or would it be best to just send them off under warranty?

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 7
  Hi guys - new here and looking for a little help,
I've had my Sennheiser PC 360s for a little over a year and in the last few months or so I've noticed that the volume control on the right ear cup causes some slight crackling/static when I adjust the volume (mainly towards the upper end of the spectrum, like between 80-100%). I think it's affecting the left ear cup as well because sometimes sound feels weaker in my left ear.
I was wondering if anything can be done to remove the crackling, or would it be best to just send them off under warranty?

Have you tried using the PC360s with other sources? see if they sound the same.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 7

Send them back to Sennheiser under warranty (if you have your receipt). It's not a user serviceable pair of headphones and if they have a fault either get them repaired or replaced.

May 9, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 7
I had exactly this issue, and discovered a way to fix it myself, no tools or even skill needed.   What fixed it for me was popping the volume control disc (on the right ear cup) off the base and making sure the entire area is clean.  It's held on by some material that seems to wear with use and heat and in my case a small amount of the material had become wedged between the visible circuitboard and volume knob.  As soon as I removed the stickiness, both the static and volume differential between ear cups disappeared at all volume levels.

Do beware, once you clean out whatever sticks the disc on...there will be nothing to hold the disc on.  This isn't desirable as obviously dirtiness causes issues for this device.  I would suggest using a weak super glue to reattach the disc to the knob once cleaning is finished, but BE CAREFUL not to get ANY glue on the circuit board.  Just a bit on the top of the knob to hold the disc in place will be enough to protect the internal workings from further contamination.  Again, this is extraordinarily easy to fix, but please, think before you act, as it is quite possible to make things worse if you were to, say, glue the volume knob to the circuit board.

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but as this was the second hit on google for "sennheiser pc 360 static", I thought it might be seen by others having this same problem.

May 12, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 7
That's an inventive solution, but I suspect it would invalidate the warranty. If it is under warranty period I would take advantage of that first before prising apart your headphones.

May 23, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 7
Oh yes, odds are good it would violate the warranty, even though the piece snaps open/off easily and without damage.  I'm sure they'd still consider it self modification. 

I didn't mean to imply my solution should be a first resort. As Southak said always take advantage of your warranties, not the least because you may be fixing other wear and time related issues that have yet to fully reveal themselves.  Sennheiser especially is usually good about just sending a new, store packaged headset out to you if you have problems while you're covered.

Again, only try my solution if you don't have other recourse.  It's not dangerous or damaging, but other ways are superior solutions if they remain possible.

May 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the suggestion HeadphoneHelper!  I have both the HDR110 and HDR120 wireless headphones and both of them were crackling and sound would go in and out on either the left or right intermittently when using the volume knob. 

I first checked to make sure they weren't under warranty, surprisingly I bought then in 2009 and 2010, so no issues there. 

I then took the right side speaker off by unscrewing the first 3 screws and then the 2 screws on the part underneath that and then I did the old "blow on it trick" on the volume knob to get out any dirt/dust that might have been in there and I moved the knob around a little bit without removing it and sure enough, it was enough to fix the problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back