Integrated / Pre-amp headphone users
Jul 23, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 48
I use my Opera Cyber 30 intergrated amp to drive my HD-600 and also my K1000. I find it to be better than my MG Head OTL and X-Cans V2 by significant margin. Although some may say its not a fair comparison given the price difference, I still find it good value as it is able to drive all my headphones including the K1000 (which I recommend highly and is my current fave)

Jul 23, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #17 of 48
Just at the moment I am using a 2 year old Rotel RA 972 integrated to drive my ETY 4s - not via the headphone jack but via a very simple voltage divider out of the switchable spare speaker outlet. The bits cost under a quid from Maplins.
It's always a relief to switch to this from my META 42 (doubled 2002s etc). The gain in sound staging, instrumental separation and overall sense of realism is quite disturbing bearing in mind the eulogies frequently posted about the META here.
My sympathies are 100% with Paul's observations.

Jul 24, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by buggalugs
Just at the moment I am using a 2 year old Rotel RA 972 integrated to drive my ETY 4s - not via the headphone jack but via a very simple voltage divider out of the switchable spare speaker outlet. The bits cost under a quid from Maplins.
It's always a relief to switch to this from my META 42 (doubled 2002s etc). The gain in sound staging, instrumental separation and overall sense of realism is quite disturbing bearing in mind the eulogies frequently posted about the META here.
My sympathies are 100% with Paul's observations.

I hadnt actually thought of doing it that way, what exactly did you get from Maplins?

Jul 24, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #19 of 48
I have a Yamaha CX-1000 preamp which I just bought used. They are rare, but can be had for <$400. Maybe I'll post a review on it when I get a chance. It is supposedly the best preamp yamaha ever made (1991). It has a superb headphone jack - unbelievably clear and precise with my CD3k's (.001 thd). All kinds of digital inputs & outputs which sound great, even by today's standards.

Jul 24, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by buggalugs

Same principle, using a converter, I have been trying out 4 year old JRDG Concentra integrated with RS1. Actually working out better with RS1 than previously tried RS2.
grado_rowland1.jpg

Jul 24, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
Same principle, using a converter, I have been trying out 4 year old JRDG Concentra integrated with RS1. Actually working out better with RS1 than previously tried RS2.

I'm just wondering how you go about this. I have searched the forum, and not came up with any conclusive answers. Is there any advantage to using bridged speaker outputs over using the provided headphone jack?

Jul 24, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
Is there any advantage to using bridged speaker outputs over using the provided headphone jack?

Only sonic benefit I can think of is that amplifier output probably would have a heftier power supply than the one provided with a preamp. Altho, some preamps ( such as Audiolab 8000s or nagra pl-p) have a separate transformer(s) just for headphone out.

Jul 26, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
Only sonic benefit I can think of is that amplifier output probably would have a heftier power supply than the one provided with a preamp. Altho, some preamps ( such as Audiolab 8000s or nagra pl-p) have a separate transformer(s) just for headphone out.

Not that it is a nagra or an audiolab, but even my lowly philly audio preamp has two separate transformers for the headphone out. (One for high and for low impedance cans). Does this mean, I am luckier than I think considering what I paid?

Jul 26, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #26 of 48
The reason I use the spare speaker outlet is because this amp (Rotel 972) doesn't mute the speakers when inserting the phones into the headphone jack. It was disconcerting to find I'd often leave the phones connected whilst blasting away with the speakers and stressing the ETYs as a consequence (they took it all in their stride though).
Making my own voltage divider enabled me to empirically optimise the ETYs loading - as a trade off for a tiny amount of background hiss I have a better sound stage/bass/detail/ treble clarity over the existing jack.
There are instructions how to do this over at Headwize in the FAQ section - I couldn't latch on to it just now to provide a link.
As previously posted the gain in quality using this method over my semi-maxed out META is disturbing - for example massed strings through the META can sound like an amorphous wodge whereas through the Rotel they are clearly delineated into first and second violins, violas, cellos and basses with the working of the inner parts explicitly sounded.

Dec 4, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I'm just curious to see who runs their headphones happily without a dedicated headphone amp, instead using an integrated or pre-amp, as I am using my integrated and prefer it to the Corda HA-1. I just wonder if I am alone and disillusioned
600smile.gif

It seems to me my integrated could drive virtually any headphone cleanly, and with excellent sound quality.

So, come on, own up, who doesnt use a headphone amp and is happy with their sound quality
wink.gif

basshead.gif

Old thread, I know. But I will be using an Audiolab 8000S with my AKG K501 when they arrive. This will be my first head-fi induced rig, and I am wondering: How good is the Audiolab (old, black model) compared to some of the headphone amps I see debated on the forum? How much would I have to spend to make a clear step up?

I'm really looking forward to my K501 now. Thanks, head-fi. And curse you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back