Integrated+DAC (Peachtree Nova 65SE, NAD D7020, etc.)
May 11, 2015 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Qonmus

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a product in this price range (~$1,000, but not too strict on that) to replace a couple components from my current setup.

Right now I run a MisterX DAC->NAD Integrated 315->(tape out)WA6 with HD600 and Audioengine P4 speakers

Looking at adding some nicer bookshelf speakers for my desk, but I want to trim down on amp space first.

NAD D3020 is out of the question because it lacks preout capabilities unfortunately, which is a feature I want.

I want an onboard DAC with multiple inputs (pc, PS4, cable box, etc.) 

I know its a long shot, but does anyone here have experience with a couple of these units? Any of them? Or a different suggestion?

I love the Peachtree look and functionality. I think it would be perfect for my needs. But I cannot find a single review on the unit, which makes me nervous. 

Thanks for any tips

May 14, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 6
Just slight correction. NAD 3020D do support pre-out! That small marked 3.5mm port just below 3.5mm analogue input is pre-out (you may connect active sub, active speakers or power amp). Effectively, it's pre-amp in proper sense.

I can recommend Pro-Ject MaiA integrated ... it may fit your requirements nicely. Apart from that Peachtree is really a safe bet (and you are in US so it's more keenly priced than here in EU).

May 17, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 6
  Looking for a product in this price range (~$1,000, but not too strict on that) to replace a couple components from my current setup.

Right now I run a MisterX DAC->NAD Integrated 315->(tape out)WA6 with HD600 and Audioengine P4 speakers

Looking at adding some nicer bookshelf speakers for my desk, but I want to trim down on amp space first.

I want an onboard DAC with multiple inputs (pc, PS4, cable box, etc.) 

If you want to save a lot of amplifier space, why not buy a DAC-HPamp-Preamp all in one chassis? Something like the AudioGD NFB-15. Then use powered monitors so the speaker amps will be built into the cabinets. All you'll have are somewhat large speakers (well, not really - lots of passive hi-fi speakers with the same size midwoofers are actually larger) and that one relatively small box on the desk, plus the headphone.

NAD D3020 is out of the question because it lacks preout capabilities unfortunately, which is a feature I want.

The D3020 does have a preamp output, but what they had in mind was a subwoofer so it's a 3.5mm. In any case, what were you going to hook up to the preamp? Subwoofers take up a lot of space, and depending on acoustics it may be too easy to localize when under a desk.

May 17, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 6
If you want to save a lot of amplifier space, why not buy a DAC-HPamp-Preamp all in one chassis? Something like the AudioGD NFB-15. Then use powered monitors so the speaker amps will be built into the cabinets. All you'll have are somewhat large speakers (well, not really - lots of passive hi-fi speakers with the same size midwoofers are actually larger) and that one relatively small box on the desk, plus the headphone.

Agreed. I have an NFB-11 (same headphone amp/pre-amp, but different DAC). And then I use an Indeed t-amp for my passive speakers. Very small. Although even more spacing saving might be powered speakers.

The D3020 does have a preamp output, but what they had in mind was a subwoofer so it's a 3.5mm.

Most subs I know of don't take 3.5mm, but rather use RCA. I would imagine that the 3.5mm choice is more of a space saving design choice. There's not that much room on that back panel.

May 17, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 6
Most subs I know of don't take 3.5mm, but rather use RCA. I would imagine that the 3.5mm choice is more of a space saving design choice. There's not that much room on that back panel.

I'll just elaborate - what I meant was that NAD's marketing didn't have to worry about potential buyers who are too into "serious" audio with a hierarchy of jacks (XLR>RCA>single TRS aka shared ground stereo) if they'll send what essentially would be a treated as a mono signal anyway (even if it doesn't actually leave the D3020 as a mono signal; in any case not a lot of recordings would have isolated very low frequency tones on each channel). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back