Integrated DAC/headamps with USB input [or: should I just buy the two separately?]
Mar 2, 2009 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Clubcard

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a convenient and reasonably priced way to hook up my Grado RS-1's to my computer. Finding a good headphone amplifier with a built-in DAC seems like the simplest imaginable solution. I realize that getting these units separately would grant a more... audiophilic return, but unfortunately I'm on a budget (approx. 600€).

I've already auditioned the Musical Fidelity X-Can v8. The amp itself sounds really good, but the built-in DAC (Burr Brown PCM2706) seems to knit brows around here.

I guess my real question is: should I just get the two units separately? Even though I'm not aiming for the top echelon, I do appreciate good sound reproduction.

Also, please don't slaughter me for my noobish question. I've tried searching for similar threads but managed to find none.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 3
I would go for "separate" option. If you don't like any of the two components you can still swap it for something else while with "all in one" option you won't know whats holding good reproduction back-amp or dac.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clubcard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a convenient and reasonably priced way to hook up my Grado RS-1's to my computer. Finding a good headphone amplifier with a built-in DAC seems like the simplest imaginable solution. I realize that getting these units separately would grant a more... audiophilic return, but unfortunately I'm on a budget (approx. 600€).

I've already auditioned the Musical Fidelity X-Can v8. The amp itself sounds really good, but the built-in DAC (Burr Brown PCM2706) seems to knit brows around here.

I guess my real question is: should I just get the two units separately? Even though I'm not aiming for the top echelon, I do appreciate good sound reproduction.

Also, please don't slaughter me for my noobish question. I've tried searching for similar threads but managed to find none.

if you like the V8, why not go with that, and a different source into the chain if you find the USB inadequite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back