Integrated amplifiers advice.
Apr 12, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #16 of 21
Some brands/models I would recommend you audition include the Exposure 2010S, Primare I30, Creek Destiny, Simaudio stuffs. Buying used would make your money go further.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #17 of 21
OP, for $1500 I would recommend CA DACMagic, CA 640A, a pair of speaker that suits your PERSONAL taste, and save the rest for interconnects as you wish. The key is balance, don't overspend on some particular chain or you'll end up plagued with what-ifs and upgradetitis.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, for $1500 I would recommend CA DACMagic, CA 640A, a pair of speaker that suits your PERSONAL taste, and save the rest for interconnects as you wish.

That's not bad advice for starting from scratch. I'd go with the 650a though, since it replaced the 640a. If CA isn't your taste, replace the amp with with a similar NAD, Marantz, or maybe even Rotel part and pick the DAC that sounds best to you. Those models that 1up suggested are probably way beyond your specified budget, but if you've got the cash to spend they all look like stellar parts.

--Matt

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #19 of 21
I demoed a few Paradigms yesterday. They were amazing. So clear and detailed. I might end up buying a pair from their studio series. How is B&W (CM5) compared to paradigm? They (CM5) are going for $1699.99 CAD. Are they worth it? I couldn't find any reviews on them.

Also, I've increased my budget
smily_headphones1.gif
. After a lot of research and 2 back to back exams, I am currently dreaming about a pair of paradigm Studio 20s, CA DACMagic, NAD C375BEE and a subwoofer from Paradigm.

I still have one question though. Since I am using my Computer as my source and since I'll be buying a DAC. Will using the optical output from an onboard realtek chipset be inferior to say an Asus Xonar's optical out? I'm guessing not since I'll be extracting the digital signal and there won't be any DSP on the signal. Am I right?

Thanks and sorry for the late response. FINALS!!
frown.gif

-audiophilic

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #20 of 21
I've never heard the B&W CM5, but the Studio 20 is definitely an amazing speaker. Subwoofers aren't really my taste, but it sounds like you've got a pretty nice setup picked out there.

I found that my X-Fi card has a better quality optical output than the onboard Realtek solution on my Classified. I'd imagine a Xonar would be better still. Something along the lines of the M2Tech Hiface would probably be best though, and wouldn't be capped at 96hkz like optical (assuming it's not just my X-Fi that won't push past 96hkz - I've read conflicting opinions about Toslink supporting 192hkz).

--Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back