Integrated Amp/Receiver to match with Epos ELS-3s
Jan 27, 2005 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

szruss

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on an affordable integrated amp or receiver to match with my Epos ELS-3s. In this case, affordable as in under $300... I'd like to pay more for something a little better but I really can't right now. I've got a Sonic Impact T-Amp on the way (along with a 13.8V regulated power supply), but I don't really think it will do the Epos 3s justice.

Epos Specs:
Power Handling: 100 Watts Max
Frequency Response: 65Hz - 20kHz
Impedance: 4 ohms Nominal
Sensitivity: 87dB/1 watt/1 metre

Options:
Onkyo TX-8511 Receiver (probably would get a used one)
Panasonic XR50 (used)

Any other suggestions? Maybe I should just save up and get a Creek integrated amp...

Jan 28, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 12
Perhaps an NAD 320BEE used if you can find it; right around that $300 mark, and very good for the money. I heard them driving Quad 11 speakers, making some pretty nice music on the cheap with an NAD CD player.....

EDIT: avoid the Panasonic, they prefer impedence 6+ ohms, and don't sound as good with lower efficiency and lower ohm speakers.....

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 12
Along with the creek, I would also look into the Rega Brio. Like the creek, it's got synergy with the epos line, plus it has a nice phono stage. I have a Rega Mira with my Epos ES 11, and they go very well together. The Brio is less expensive than the Mira, but more lively from what I read.

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 12
No need to avoid the panasonic at all. It will handle just about any load with ease.

Also consider the JVC RX-F10 "digital" receiver. Different from the TI chip, more similar to the tripath type digital class d based stuff but will be more sensitive to source upgrades down the road.

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 12
A nice british sounding amp would match it.
here's a Onix demo from the tuner guy for 295.
ONIX-1.jpg

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 12
I'd recommend another british-made little amp the Cambridge Audio azur -series 640A or for a little less 540A. I own the CA azur and it's amazing for the price and drives my (1850e in Europe) maggie mg12 with ease and I don't feel stupid at all driving them with such cheap amp (450e here). I actually preferred it over seriously more expensive amps in blind-test. Very dynamic and lively amp with good PRAT. Only thing im missing from my previous Audio Analogue Puccini is the relaxed and sweet treble and the more distant soundstaging (CA sound a bit on your face at times in my setup) but in overall I feel the CA is better.
My audio-dealer was so impressed with the amp that he had it sent reviewed in Finnish hifi-magazine. Needles to say it was ranked highest at that price point of all amplifiers tested by the mag so far. Leaving more pricey stuff behind. And no, I haven't seen any pricy Cambridge Audio advertisements in the mag so I doubt they are biased.
tongue.gif

Check if the 540A can be had within your price range. I doubt you would be disappointed as the Epos are laidback speaker and CA would balance things out, I think.

Jan 28, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Epos speakers are usually paired with Creek integrateds. The Creek 4330 would be a nice amp for it. Get it used for around $300.

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 12
Congrats on the ELS-3s. I love mine, I run them with a (used) NAD 7220PE. I get the impression they would not react well to anything on the "bright" end of the scale, the Onkyo amps I have had experience with would be far too bright to enjoy with the Epos'. In fact, my setup runs slightly on the bright side, but I think it's a source problem. I'll be interested to see what you get, and let us know how the Sonic Impact sounds! I've been thinking of getting one, but didn't know how well it would work with my speakers. Now I can find out!
biggrin.gif

G

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 12
I also would look for a used Creek 4330. The Creek and Epos products go hand and hand, and the 4330 is now an all-time classic price performer.

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions! The creeks and the brio, in particular, I'll be keeping an eye out for...

T-Amp hasn't arrived yet, I'll post my impressions once I get a chance to try it out.

Jan 31, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 12
Any opinions on the Cambridge Audio A3i? I've seen a few used for (very) low prices... described as having a brassy and punchy sound, maybe it will help offset some of the laid back sound of the ELS-3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back