Integrated 7.1 PC audio? Is it decent?
Dec 20, 2010 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sel00264

New Head-Fier
So most desktops ship with 7.1 integrated audio, but some manufacturers like Dell, HP, and Velocity Micro offer the ability to upgrade to a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio card ... is it worth the upgrade for headphones and my 2.1 speaker system (H/K Soundsticks)?  

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 9
That X-Fi xtreme audio is really bad, if you want to upgrade just buy an Auzentech or Asus Xonar.

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Youll have to change your sound card unless all you do is gaming on that computer. From my experience Creative are unstable and troublesome. Problems with dirvers and compatibility a lot.
For a cheap audiophile-like sound try Asus Xonar soundcads.

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 9
 if you only listen to mp3s, watch encoded movies and game on it youll be fine.
as soon as you pick up a good set of headphones or a decent sound system you will realise its flaws. on-board sound cards perform poorly. no clarity, no depth, sound just doesnt come out as articulate as it should .,.   sefsfdsf s\fwe\ fsef

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 9

if you only listen to mp3s, watch encoded movies and game on it youll be fine.
as soon as you pick up a good set of headphones or a decent sound system you will realise its flaws. on-board sound cards perform poorly. no clarity, no depth, sound just doesnt come out as articulate as it should .,.   sefsfdsf s\fwe\ fsef

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks, one more question, how difficult is it changing sound cards?  I have never upgrade a desktop before, so I have little experience opening the thing up and upgrading stuff.  I will look into the Asus sound cards, didn't even realize they were a player in upgrading sound cards.  I always assumed Creative was tops with this technology.  

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 9
I had D1,  DX and D2. I would get D2X since the price diffrence is not that big. You get better and better sound as you go up the food chain but i would stick with D2X for the moment. There was a Xonar I always wanted because it had a built-in headphones amplifier, I forgot its name. It goes for about 120£, worth checking it out. But if youre low on budget go for DX, pretty decent for the moeny.

Changing the sound card is not a big deal. Before buying the card make sure you have that particular slot free on your motherboard. PCI-Express1X is the little tinny one, PCI is the long white one and PCI-Express is the long colourfull one. After fitting the card in boot up your PC and go into BIOS (press Del or F2 or F10 or F12 , depending on your motherboard) and look around in that menu to turn off integrated soundcard. In Windows you just put your soundcard CD in and install whatever pops up. I would also go on their official web site for the latest drivers updates.

Asus vs Creative: yes, Creative have a good name but theyve been sleeping on it for too long. Asus are more value for money and they dont crash every other minute.

To take advantage of a good soundcard  you will need to cut down on bad habbits like mp3, divX movies, cheap headsets etc. Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back