Integra AV Reciever for a new home system
May 8, 2007 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

piper78

New Head-Fier
I was originally looking to replace my Yamaha RX-V757 with the higher end RX-V2700, but my friends buddy who is an installer recommended the Integra as a better choice.

I'm currently remodeling my home, and upgrading my home AV system is on the list. Anyone have experience with this brand? I've done a search online, but get general reviews or announcements.

Any help would be much appreciated.
icon10.gif

May 9, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 5
It is a bit odd that Integra doesn't get reviewed more often, but there is a reason.

In 2003, I was faced with the question of what HT receiver to buy for our new system. The place that sold the TV that I wanted sold Integra, and the sales guy described it as "the Lexus to Onkyo's Toyota."

He made a mistake, because for music, I'm a Lexus guy, but for HT, I'm fine with a Toyota......and for the same features, the Onkyo is a much better buy (and available from authorized online dealers, too, making it even cheaper if you go that route.) In fact, I'd say that the Lexus/Toyota comparison is an exaggeration; they were pretty close to each other in most cases when I was buying (but I'm unsure if there is more difference in the current offerings.)

I am quite pleased with the Onkyo for what it does, and maybe it's not a huge difference, but I think the Onkyo gear seems to have a bit better fit/finish/feel compared to the other brands in the same range.

That being said, the Integra gear is another little notch up in "feel", and--according to the sales guy, take it with a grain of salt--has more robust transformers/power supplies and a few "boutique-y" components in critical areas (better caps, etc.) However, there's probably no dealer that sells both, so you're not likely to be able to do a direct a/b in a store.

I have the TX-SR701, and it does everything I ask of it very well when it comes to movies. For music, the amps really don't have the current capability to keep up in the low end.......so my first upgrade was a set of monoblocks for the front l/r channels. I don't listen to surround SACD/DVD-A enough to want anything better for the center/surrounds.

May 9, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 5
The installer/friend made the same comparison - Lexus/Toyota analogy, and being a Lexus owner myself it peaked my curiosity. I've seen plenty of Onkyo reviews and many are well received, which leads me to question whether the upgrade is necessary for my needs.

My other thought would be what AMP to pair well with let's say an Onkyo TX-SR674, because I'd like to stretch my dollar as far as possible.
Thanks for your in depth insight, it's much appreciated.
3000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a bit odd that Integra doesn't get reviewed more often, but there is a reason.

In 2003, I was faced with the question of what HT receiver to buy for our new system. The place that sold the TV that I wanted sold Integra, and the sales guy described it as "the Lexus to Onkyo's Toyota."

He made a mistake, because for music, I'm a Lexus guy, but for HT, I'm fine with a Toyota......and for the same features, the Onkyo is a much better buy (and available from authorized online dealers, too, making it even cheaper if you go that route.) In fact, I'd say that the Lexus/Toyota comparison is an exaggeration; they were pretty close to each other in most cases when I was buying (but I'm unsure if there is more difference in the current offerings.)

I am quite pleased with the Onkyo for what it does, and maybe it's not a huge difference, but I think the Onkyo gear seems to have a bit better fit/finish/feel compared to the other brands in the same range.

That being said, the Integra gear is another little notch up in "feel", and--according to the sales guy, take it with a grain of salt--has more robust transformers/power supplies and a few "boutique-y" components in critical areas (better caps, etc.) However, there's probably no dealer that sells both, so you're not likely to be able to do a direct a/b in a store.

I have the TX-SR701, and it does everything I ask of it very well when it comes to movies. For music, the amps really don't have the current capability to keep up in the low end.......so my first upgrade was a set of monoblocks for the front l/r channels. I don't listen to surround SACD/DVD-A enough to want anything better for the center/surrounds.

May 10, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 5
Hmmm, the Lexus thing must have been discussed at a national dealers meeting, eh? The guy who told me that works in the Chicago suburbs.

If you are speaking of power amps to boost the L/R fronts, or maybe even the center, too.....I use a pair of IRD MB-100 monoblocks and recommend them without hesitation.

Check the various reviews that have been published on the MB-100's or the original nOrh LeAmp (the same thing).....they pretty much all agree that it is at least a good, if not outstanding, value. Used pairs are generally available on A'gon for $350 to $400, but might be a bit scarce. A pair shows up every month or so, I think.

Monoblocks would provide some flexibility for the future if you decide to go with L/R only now and add the center later.

The Parasound HCA-1201's are another bargain right now--but like the MB-100's, you can't find them everyday. The Parasounds probably have a higher current capability than the IRD's and have both balanced and unbalanced inputs.

Alternatively, another great value IMHO in power amps are used Acurus units. You might find an A200x3 to cover the L/C/R duty for $500-ish and the build quality would probably amaze you. The three channel versions are often available for not much more than the standard stereo models. As of last year, Klipsch could still supply spare switches and other unique parts for them (Acurus being the Toyota to Aragon's Lexus, Aragon now owned by Klipsch, you see
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
!)

Before the IRD's, I used an Acurus A150 for the front channels. Sold it a year later for just what I paid for it, too. (I had forgotten about that intermediate step in my first reply--the MB-100's were not the first upgrade, but done later when I was sure the system would be used way more for music than HT.)

I don't value putting more oomph in the surrounds, as once the load is taken off the front channels, my Onkyo is fine driving the center and rears in a 5.1 setup.

May 10, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Excellent!

IRD MB-100's, Acurus A200, Parasound, I'm doing my searching now to learn more and find a match, thanks so much for the recommendations, I'm sure any of these three choices would work.

Interestingly, the installer also mentioned a 5.1 setup would work best for my home arrangement.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
3000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, the Lexus thing must have been discussed at a national dealers meeting, eh? The guy who told me that works in the Chicago suburbs.

If you are speaking of power amps to boost the L/R fronts, or maybe even the center, too.....I use a pair of IRD MB-100 monoblocks and recommend them without hesitation.

Check the various reviews that have been published on the MB-100's or the original nOrh LeAmp (the same thing).....they pretty much all agree that it is at least a good, if not outstanding, value. Used pairs are generally available on A'gon for $350 to $400, but might be a bit scarce. A pair shows up every month or so, I think.

Monoblocks would provide some flexibility for the future if you decide to go with L/R only now and add the center later.

The Parasound HCA-1201's are another bargain right now--but like the MB-100's, you can't find them everyday. The Parasounds probably have a higher current capability than the IRD's and have both balanced and unbalanced inputs.

Alternatively, another great value IMHO in power amps are used Acurus units. You might find an A200x3 to cover the L/C/R duty for $500-ish and the build quality would probably amaze you. The three channel versions are often available for not much more than the standard stereo models. As of last year, Klipsch could still supply spare switches and other unique parts for them (Acurus being the Toyota to Aragon's Lexus, Aragon now owned by Klipsch, you see
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
!)

Before the IRD's, I used an Acurus A150 for the front channels. Sold it a year later for just what I paid for it, too. (I had forgotten about that intermediate step in my first reply--the MB-100's were not the first upgrade, but done later when I was sure the system would be used way more for music than HT.)

I don't value putting more oomph in the surrounds, as once the load is taken off the front channels, my Onkyo is fine driving the center and rears in a 5.1 setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back