Instruments in different channels
Feb 29, 2008 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

onlysleeping

Head-Fier
I'm sitting here rocking out to the Queens of the Stoneage's Songs for the Deaf CD. Track #4, song of the dead is interesting to listen to on headphones. The song starts with drums in the right channel (speaker, headphone, etc). Then the guitar kicks in, and the drums switch to the left. The right channel plays guitar, bass, and vocals. I never noticed this when listening through speakers!

I have noticed this on some of the 'stereo' Beatles recordings too. Is there any specefic reason on this?

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 7
I dont know of any specific reason this is done but I find it pretty friggen annoying most of the time. The "ping pong" stereo in early rock is the worst. I assume they did it because at the time stereo was new and they didn't really know how to incorporate it properly, or they just wanted the listener to really realize that this recording was in STEREO. Whatever the cause its no fun for me to listen to.

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 7
In the case of the Beatles, a lot of that can be attributed to the relative infancy of stereophonic recording. As a bit of trivia, centre mixed drums and bass became convention due to the physical limitations of vinyl and the needle's inability to track such extremes in frequency response across a single channel without distorting. This is why it is so standard to have drums and bass, both extremes of the frequency range, in the middle, and is partly why it's such an odd experience when they aren't!

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeah, I HATE early stereo mixes, and love me some MONO.

I haven't had as much an issue with rock, but 50's jazz and 60's soul stereo mixes can be terrible.

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 7
I was lucky enough to find a bunch of good Beatles recordings in mono, which are NOT just the stereo mixes condensed to mono. They are different mixes, with their own texture. I have to say I prefer the mono mixes especially of Sgt Pepper's.

I believe hearing these mono versions that the producer mixed stereo versions as an after thought to satisfy the infant technology.

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 7
When used properly, I think this method is fantastic. It certainly suits the more progressive and/or experimental bands. It really allows the mixer and band to mix up the mood and feeling of the album.

I do agree that arbitrary panning gets real old though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back