Instrumental Jazz Suggestions
Jul 4, 2007 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

joneeboi

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Music Forum,

I've almost never used this forum, so if I seem tactless, it's because I am. I've recently been inspired by Zanth in his The Kids Are Alright! thread to start my own CD collection. Of the few CDs I purchased reside Norah Jones' "Feels Like Home." Turns out I'm an easy listening kind of guy. I was wondering where I could find some other snazzy jazz tunes along the same lines minus the vocals. Thanks for the help!

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 8
Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
John Coltrane - Lush Life

Not entirely easy listening, but classic albums that are pretty smooth to get into. Would a fellow AD'er steer you wrong?

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 8
There must be more albums out there. I just picked up Explosions in the Sky's All of a Sudden I Miss Everybody, and wow, what a cool album. This is something I could get used to. Anything along those kind of lines?

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Can you give a little more description of what you are after? More guitar or more sax/horns? Scaled down acoustic or more multi-layered complex stuff. "Instrumental Jazz"covers about a dozen genre's of jazz.

Bands I would recommend as a segway from rock to jazz would include:

Bela Fleck
Rippingtons
Mike Stern
Dave Weckl
(more recent) Al Dimeola
Spyro Gyra
Bruce Hornsby
Christian McBride
Ken Navarro
Yellowjackets

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 8
Can you give a little more description of what you are after? More guitar or more sax/horns? Scaled down acoustic or more multi-layered complex stuff. "Instrumental Jazz"covers about a dozen genre's of jazz.

Bands I would recommend as a segway from rock to jazz would include:

Bela Fleck
Rippingtons
Mike Stern
Dave Weckl
(more recent) Al Dimeola
Spyro Gyra
Bruce Hornsby
Christian McBride
Ken Navarro
Yellowjackets

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There must be more albums out there. I just picked up Explosions in the Sky's All of a Sudden I Miss Everybody, and wow, what a cool album. This is something I could get used to. Anything along those kind of lines?

Well, that ain't exactly jazz. You might want to a do a search on here for 'post-rock', which is the genre EITS fall under. I love them too. do Make Say Think, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, and Pelican are all moderately similar bands you might like.

As for jazz, you might want to try some Nels Cline (any record will do.) He is an electric guitarist with a firm grasp of rock (he is in the band Wilco) while focusing mainly on freeish jazz on his solo records.

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seeing as GSYBE! and Mogwai are already mentioned (and I second them), you may also like Tortoise. Their album TNT is somewhat jazz-influenced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back