Instrumental Hip Hop
May 2, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #16 of 29
MadLib recently put out a good album...'MadLib the Beat Konducta'...mostly instrumental beats ala' MadVillainy-style soundtracks to imaginary moments and 'films'. I'll second Prefuse 73 and, maybe stretchin' but, Boards of Canada and Kruder-Dorfmeister...

May 2, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #18 of 29
Bit of Aussie music is the way to go.

Hermitude. Tales of the Drift
Unkle Ho. Roads to Roma

May 2, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #19 of 29
here's some dudes to check out:

adlib/thavius beck
jel
boom bip
sixtoo
reanimator
skyrider
alias
daedelus
paris zax
omid
joe beats
controller 7
elektro4
odd nosdam
maker

May 2, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #20 of 29
Any of the albums mentioned will be VERY hard to find in Ecuador... I'll have to wait till my next vacations... meanwhile I'll just download some to check them out. Also, luckily I do have some friends who are also interested in the genre... I'll borrow.

I heard J Dilla - Donuts...thought it was ok the first time... listened to it again and liked it a lot... I guess the first time I was just expecting something else.

Love Boards of Canada... but it doesn't seem very much hip hop... just some tracks.

May 2, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
MadLib recently put out a good album...'MadLib the Beat Konducta'...mostly instrumental beats

This disc is a must for anyone interested in this 'genre'. A lot of the other stuff mentioned here fits, but almost all of it crosses into other genres at least a bit, but this one is pure hip hop.

If you like DJ Shadow, you'll probably also really enjoy Since I Left You by The Avalanches.

May 3, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #23 of 29
Oh Schnaps! When is your next album coming out DJShadow? ^^^^^
J/K
icon10.gif

Hey now that I have seen Prefuse 73 a couple times in this thread I am interested in checking them out...what would be the best album to start with?

May 3, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #24 of 29
The only album of Prefuse 73 I've heard is One Word Extinguisher and I thought it was great...although i've seen more recomendations of vocal studies + uprock narratives...one of those two would probably be the best choice.

Does anyone know if DJ Shadow is still producing albums as DJ Shadow?.... Would love to check out a new album.

May 3, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 29
Yeah I was just joking (above)...but the real DJ shadow was working on his next album in the studio last time I checked (~ 2 months ago). From blurbs I have read/seen this has the potential to be a bit different than his previous albums. I heard he is working/worked alot with live musicians for instrument pieces this time around.

May 4, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
oh ya someone posted MF DOOM, Get His Herbs but get the box set that has series 1-10

Yes and no. The box set is a little misleading. While it's WELL worth a purchase (limited run, 10 new tracks for upcoming album), it's not the real special herbs songs - all the beats are shortened to about 2 minutes.

The upshot is that it's all mixed together by DOOM himself and has a pretty good flow.

Other than that, check out Herbaliser, on NinjaTune and if you want to get into real turntablists, see Kid Koala (ninjatune) and DJ Qbert, Yogafrog and the entire invzbl skratch piklz crew.

May 4, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #27 of 29
Some great lo-fi sampled beats come from Odd Nosdam right here in the Bay Area! This guy has a special ear that in turn enables him to produce some very atmospheric hip-hop soundscapes. If you like DJ Shadow then Odd Nosdam is a no-brainer.
His two albums are:
-No Wig In Ohio
-Burner
Grab them both, although No Wig was the first one by him I heard, I'm partial to that one...

May 4, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #28 of 29
Ill say it again and in bold so everyone sees it:
[size=large]"MONOLITH by OMID
[size=small]For some reason nobody ever mentions this album. It is pure, unadultarated instrumental hip-hop at its finest.
Please forgive the dramatic writing, but ya'll need to go get this album.[/size][/size]

May 4, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Yes and no. The box set is a little misleading. While it's WELL worth a purchase (limited run, 10 new tracks for upcoming album), it's not the real special herbs songs - all the beats are shortened to about 2 minutes.

The upshot is that it's all mixed together by DOOM himself and has a pretty good flow.

Other than that, check out Herbaliser, on NinjaTune and if you want to get into real turntablists, see Kid Koala (ninjatune) and DJ Qbert, Yogafrog and the entire invzbl skratch piklz crew.

ya i mentioned that because i doubt hes a head and would want vol. 1-10 so i figured it just be cheaper and easier to get the box set... i of course have the box and all ther herbs eh best cash i ever wasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back