Installing new opamps in a Prodigy HD2
Mar 1, 2008 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

GuyMe

500+ Head-Fier
Real newb questions here but how do you install dip type opamps? Just yank the old ones out and push the new ones in? How do I know if I have them facing the right way?

I'd like to use 3 LT1364s, can I just plop them in without further modification of the board? Speaking of which is that even a good opamp selection?

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 24
Surely this isn't a difficult procedure to explain, giving it a bump for those that missed it.

To clarify my question about my choice of opamp: i'm looking for a fast, impactful and natural sound with minimal coloration, have I chose an optimal opamp? Perhaps I should mix it with another?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 24
Real newb here too, considering the way to replace op-amps, here is a picture of them :

prodigyhd2.jpg

When the card is in front of you with the connections on your left, you have to insert the op-amps with their 'points' at the bottom left.

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemoniak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Real newb here too, considering the way to replace op-amps, here is a picture of them :

prodigyhd2.jpg

When the card is in front of you with the connections on your left, you have to insert the op-amps with their 'points' at the bottom left.

look at the op amps. you see the little dot/circle? The new op amps have to be facing the exact way! just pull the others iut gently, and replace the new in the same position.

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 24
It's been discussed thoroughly in another forum I read frequently:

2x OPA2134 -> 2x OPA2604
NE5532 -> AD8022 (you need an SOIC to DIP8 adapter)

Kills AD8620, LM6172, LM4562, OPA2107, OPA2134 - however you combine them. AD825 is single so things get even more complicated. Try verified 2x OPA2604 + AD8022 combo.

Original OPA2134 is FET input, LT1364 is bipolar input so I'm not sure it's the best idea from electrical point of view. Other FET input op amps are: OPA2107, AD8620, AD8066 but you actually don't need to waste your time.

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Real newb questions here but how do you install dip type opamps? Just yank the old ones out and push the new ones in? How do I know if I have them facing the right way?

I'd like to use 3 LT1364s, can I just plop them in without further modification of the board? Speaking of which is that even a good opamp selection?

Thanks.

I have experience replacing OPA2134PA with LM4562NA in one of my phono preamps. You will notice a marked improvement from the OPA2134PA. LM4562NA will be cleaner and faster, more neutral and detailed, and clean up the muddling bass line.

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LT1364 is bipolar input so I'm not sure it's the best idea from electrical point of view.

As in, it could cause damage to the board? I had been planning to use two of the LT1364s with a LT1361, is this impossible?

Also can you describe what your combination sounds like? Does it sound like my description in the second post?

Thanks for the help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberTheo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have experience replacing OPA2134PA with LM4562NA in one of my phono preamps. You will notice a marked improvement from the OPA2134PA. LM4562NA will be cleaner and faster, more neutral and detailed, and clean up the muddling bass line.

What I've read of LM opamps leaves me to believe they produce a somewhat thin sound, is this accurate for the LM4562NA?

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As in, it could cause damage to the board? I had been planning to use two of the LT1364s with a LT1361, is this impossible?

Also can you describe what your combination sounds like? Does it sound like my description in the second post?

Thanks for the help.

What I've read of LM opamps leaves me to believe they produce a somewhat thin sound, is this accurate for the LM4562NA?

I haven't heard other LM opamps. The LM4562 is definitely not thin sounding. Perhaps I prefer neutrality over that of colored. If you compare it to OP2134, the LM4562 do sound a bit lighter in the bass. You do get more bass quantity from the OP, but its bass line is also muddled due to that. I feel the presentation of the LM4562 is more neutral and balanced, instruments are better separated and more focused. I came to this conclusion because I compared the sound of this phono preamp after the opamp upgrade and found it sound closer to my reference Linn phono preamp that costs many times more.

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 24
There will be no damage when you use bipolar instead of FET but it draws slightly higher input current, so if the D/A stage was designed with this in consideration, there might be some conversion errors - whether measurable or audible - it depends on a certain solution. I'm just a kind of purist in this field and I wouldn't use a FET input op amp instead of a bipolar one as well, especially that I think a bipolar op amp is a better overall choice, FET is a "necessary evil".
Regarding the LM4562 - I don't like this chip, while better than the OPA2134, it's still not my cup of tea - huge, empty bass, confined, colorless midrange and overemphasized articulation of sibilants.
Good bipolar op amps are AD8599, AD8022, LT1364. AD8022 is good for output stages due to design optimized for driving cable lines.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the LM4562 - I don't like this chip, while better than the OPA2134, it's still not my cup of tea - huge, empty bass, confined, colorless midrange and overemphasized articulation of sibilants.

Not everything is everyone's cup of tea. That's why components, parts and combinations make this hobby so interesting.
rolleyes.gif

Lets not forget how a component or part sounds largely depends on one's system and setup. Personal taste ranks large as well. Neutrality and balanced sound have been always my goal and am always building my components to this end.
cool.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #15 of 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back