"Install Free Scratch Cards" Spyware
Mar 26, 2003 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

revan

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know where this came from, but every time I boot up I get a window asking to "Install Free Scratch Cards". I'm running Win2k so I control-alt-delete and end the process and then search out the .exe and delete it. But it comes back the next time I boot. Anyone know how to get rid of this?

Revan

Mar 26, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Don't even go there!

I have a program that installed from a CLEAN install of XP (although I must confess that I left the 'program files' directory from a previous install) that is called MSGSYS, that keeps telling me that 'Janita' wants to see me... keeps coming up repeatedly...

I can't find it as a resource, can't find it in msconfig... or anywhere, its baffled me... luckily Kerio firewall has locked it out
biggrin.gif

Damned annoying... and baffling too

Mar 26, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I have a program that installed from a CLEAN install of XP (although I must confess that I left the 'program files' directory from a previous install) that is called MSGSYS, that keeps telling me that 'Janita' wants to see me... keeps coming up repeatedly...

And that was a legit version of XP, right?
wink.gif

I'm kidding.

It's not really a clean install unless you reformat the drive first.

Mar 26, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
And that was a legit version of XP, right?
wink.gif

As it goes, yes... the only thing I can think is that there was either something in the program files directory that propogated itself into the new (dual) install, else it is something thats been lurking in my root directory...

Either way, my firewall has stopped it in its tracks
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 8
OK - great. Ad-aware killed it. The only thing I can think of that did this to me was either objectbar or one of the related websites. Beware if you are installing this program. By the way, I googled this question first and there wasn't a single answer. It took less than 5 minutes for someone here to help me out. Thanks!

Revan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back