Insight on the SHM-CD format?
Mar 25, 2009 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Yo!

Title pretty much sums up my request/inquiry. I have become aware of this source format/sub-format as a relatively new release I'm interested in- John Frusciante's 'The Empyrean'- is available in it (not my main reason for wanting the item; the Japanese release has 2 bonus tracks and it is this version that is SHM-CD). I havn't aquired the record yet as this print is costly and difficult to source in the UK (I think the cost reflects the format though, as well as it being an import item). I believe SHM-CD is the abreviation for 'Super High Material Compact Disc'. Anybody shed any light onto what this format is and/or provides/offers (over standard CD's)? Is it like an SACD or more like a Gold Disc, higher fidelity regular CD?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 14
I have the same question as Steve does. I also wonder what the new Blu-Spec import CDs are all about. Hope somebody has some insights.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 14
It's a CD with a more high-zoot polycarbonate formulation that's supposed to be more transparent, among other things.

Insofar as one believes that the data is already read correctly off the CD drive - and this is absolutely true for computer-based playback, and may be true for CD-based playback depending on your opinions of jitter and error interpolation - SHM-CD has absolutely no quality improvement over CD.

In other words: Japanese rattlesnake oil.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a CD with a more high-zoot polycarbonate formulation that's supposed to be more transparent, among other things.

Insofar as one believes that the data is already read correctly off the CD drive - and this is absolutely true for computer-based playback, and may be true for CD-based playback depending on your opinions of jitter and error interpolation - SHM-CD has absolutely no quality improvement over CD.

In other words: Japanese rattlesnake oil.

Aha right! So, in other words, manufacturers attempting to woo naieve customers with superflous science for a higher premium? Pity, as the specific case I'm after does have those two bonus tracks. I might just have to make the purchase, at some point, for those additional songs, anyway, despite this
evil_smiley.gif
. Thanks for the insight dude
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 14
I believe the CD used is of a bit better quality. Other than that should sound the same. I have some SHM-CDs as well (downloaded) and the difference is a bit better I guess. Could be mistaken. Been a while that I A/B'ed them.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the CD used is of a bit better quality. Other than that should sound the same. I have some SHM-CDs as well (downloaded) and the difference is a bit better I guess. Could be mistaken. Been a while that I A/B'ed them.

Thanks for sharing your hand-on experience with this format (relative to standard CDs)! It would appear to be in the same subcategory of higher-fidelity material CDs, such as Gold Discs then.

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 14
There is no difference between regular CDs and SHM-CD. The only exception to this would be if the SHM-CD version of an album was mastered differently.

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 14
They have several "intro" sets from Japan that features the same material in both a SHM and a regular CD format. With a good CD player there is a slight difference in SQ. However they didn't say if the SHM ver. is from the same master. Anyway, the SHM offers a cleaner read because of the more transparent, higher density (?), "plastic".

The blu spec discs on the other hand are just discs burned with the blu wave length laser on the same blanks. They do not offer much of a difference other than a tighter spec in the manufacturing, supposedly.

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If they are downloaded it kind of beats the purpose. SHM cds are meant to be read/played via proper transports, no computer drive in the world can break that mold.

Anyway, for the people who already own the sacd I think SHM offers very little. SHM is universal music only, so it does nothing to other labels' collections.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 14
can't compare with regular cd's because they use a different remaster. the shm releases that i've heard, there is elevated detail and resolution, however i do not like the masterings as they ruin the emotion in the music. the only remasters i feel is an improvement over the originals are xrcd and mfsl releases.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't compare with regular cd's because they use a different remaster. the shm releases that i've heard, there is elevated detail and resolution, however i do not like the masterings as they ruin the emotion in the music. the only remasters i feel is an improvement over the originals are xrcd and mfsl releases.

I am not sure if every single SHM comes from a new remaster. Apparently some may not.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by martini1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they are downloaded it kind of beats the purpose. SHM cds are meant to be read/played via proper transports, no computer drive in the world can break that mold.

That is what I thought as well. But then I heard that the rip is a bit better as well... FWIW I really don't care for SHM-CDs.
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for the further responses everyone!

So, to summarise, SHM-CD is meant to be a higher-fidelity format in physical design, that should offer, played via a high-end CD player system, some greater degree of resolution and transparency to the sound reproduced over a standard CD (this, however, is subtle, minute and insignificant to neglible, depending upon the quality and configuration of the system used to play back the SHM-CD). Rips from an SHM-CD and CD of the same record should produce less-nothing of a differance in audio fidelity and SQ but it is possible a transferance can occur. SHM-CDs if nothing else are easier and smoother for a CD player to read (and so play back). Despite all this, SHM-CD versions of an album are frequently mastered uniquely to the standard CD version of the same record! Therefore, comparisons in SQ and sound fidelity between the two formats is often not feasible-possible.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 14
This is what I got for the A/B compare
http://www.amazon.co.jp/これがSHM-CDだ-ジ...8119886&sr=8-4
51I2uM8yJxL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's only 1000 yen and they got jazz, classical, or rock sets. Each comes with a SHM CD and a regular CD with the same tracks.

It's like the SACD mentality for me... if there is some u just love to death and will listen to thousands of time then go for it. Everything else a regular cd is just fine, or files even.

Seriously, my favorite recordings/label is Columbia for Jazz. I still haven't seen any made in SHM yet. I am going to Japan next week and will pick up some blu spec cds as well. But I doubt I would find them much better in SQ.

Most important of all both SHM and blu spec are NOT cheap. For the price I rather go for SACD or just reg CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back