Inside the RA-1
Aug 31, 2001 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

the RA-1 is a wonderful sounding and beautiful looking amp

If you really believe that then don't worry about what's inside.
It's how it sounds that really count! Don't let your mind play tricks on you.
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

I don't stare at my amp when I'm listen to it.

Well, I don't stare at it either, KR, but I think we are deluding ourselves if we think that the aesthetics of the equipment plays no part in our perception of its inherent sound qualities. Else why would manufacturers and designers go to great lengths to make their equipment visually appealing. I believe there is a relationship (however small) among all our senses, and there may be, just may be, a relationship between our visual attraction and our auditory perceptions as well. I don't have to stare at it to know what it looks like. Just my thoughts on the matter. BTW, I still think it's a great sounding amp, even if the op amps are only 50 cents each.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 10
The Rega Ear is probably one of the worst looking manufactured headphone amps at any price, IMO, though I prefer it's sound to much better looking and more costly equipment. It's all about the insides, and if it sounds good, why care about looks. Good looks cost more anyway.

Aug 31, 2001 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

It's all about the insides, and if it sounds good, why care about looks. Good looks cost more anyway.

Voyager I think thats the point that joe was trying to make.

Ummm whats pretty scary is that I stumbled upon a pair of cheap computer speaker of all things, felt for some strange reason that it was endowed with a pretty good headphone jack during the time I was using Grados and not much else in terms of a dedicated amp...and figured out its opamp about 6 months ago only to realize its the same opamp used in the RA-1. What is the chance that I would even stumble upon and take note of any random computer speaker out of all possible cheap speakers...and that it'd have the same opamp out of all possible other opamps it could have been...*shudder*.

On the otherhand I still have that computer speaker...and to this day I still feel that although not exactly the most transparent jack I have, is still a clean ultra smooth and dynamic sounding amp with some sort slight bloom going on in the midrange.

Now you aren't going to tell me to enjoy listening out of a computer speaker are you?

I'm not saying they are the same...I'm just wondering, if I posted about how much I liked using a computer speaker for a headphone amp(which I once did), I think most people would outrightly assume it to be low performance (which they did).

Ok I admit I'm guilty...after reading that thread I went to the drawers and dug my computer speaker out to listen to it again...but I think any insane headwize/fier would have in the same situation.

Hmmm...finally I really wonder if I should go out and grab the ART D/IO DAC that is so hyped currently on forums like Audio Asylum. A case of a cheap DAC not meant as an audiphile DAC percieved by some to outperform DAC's that are much more expensive.

Aug 31, 2001 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 10
Guys, the RA-1 is around 300$. They could have used a 2134 for
4 $ without really touching their profits.
When they chose the JRC chip IMHO they didn't think about cutting cost, but rather: what's the best sound for our Grado cans? (or maybe what chip is always available
wink.gif
)

The RA-1 'surgery' is/was still important. Now, every DIYer can rebuild the RA-1 if he/she can live without the case. (They wouldn't have bought it anyway, so no damage for Grado)
Additionally, one can start playing around with te amp, swapping opamps and stuff.

If you already own this amp, don't worry. You've got a beautiful looking and good sounding amp, and just that we know what's inside doesn't change anything about it.

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 31, 2001 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 10
Sure nothing has changed...unless someone wants to be a DBSE pirate.

Course I wouldn't dare be associated with DBSE of this sort, would it even be legal? ...do we forget they are an Italian company
biggrin.gif
. What if Rubin all of the sudden stops posting...

But I do agree that although people may think that op-amp is cheap or low performance...it does have Grado synergy which is all that matters. Tubes are sometimes considered to be lower performance devices as well, but if people prefer the sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back