Inside the latest Benchmark DAC1
Jul 15, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 181
Be careful there are 2 models on the DAC1. The older is 24bit/96Khz. The newer one is 24bit/192Khz.

If people are selling used DAC1 at a significant discount, they might be getting rid of the older model.

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #17 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Looks like we'll find out how the Benchmark pairs with the Grace.
evil_smiley.gif

Heheh, too bright? Iron_Dreamer has cast iron ears to take anything you throw at it. (well except maybe the K1000's on a harsh source)

-Ed

Hehee, for once I am ahead of you edwood
very_evil_smiley.gif

The combo is a bit bright on the CD3000, but lifts the veil from the HD600.

Jul 15, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #20 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Be careful there are 2 models on the DAC1. The older is 24bit/96Khz. The newer one is 24bit/192Khz.

If people are selling used DAC1 at a significant discount, they might be getting rid of the older model.

I am aware of this, the guy told me it's the current model, 192kHz, which makes sense, as he hasn't had it for very long.

Jul 17, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #22 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
the ra-1 curse strikes again!
eek.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Sorry I am a newbie on the forum. What is the RA-1 curse?

When I opened my own Benchmark DAC1, I was pretty amazed to see NE5532 OPAMPS. Aren't these the cheap BJT OP amps scorned by many DIY school audiophiles. How come the unit sound so good to my ears? Can the sound be improved by further tweaking? Or maybe the designer found a circuit layout that makes NE5532 sound good. I guess, if expensive internal components is the sole road to audio nirvana, there would not be so many things to discuss about audio electronics in the first place.

I hope during the summer I will have the chance go to a friend's place and A/B test DAC1 against his Mark Levinson CD player. I will post my findings then.

Jul 17, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #23 of 181
The RA-1 amp also sounds good even though it costs a lot and has a real cheap opamp in it.

I decided to listen to the DAC1 with my RME Digi96/8 PAD, Sonica, Pioneer 563A, and Toshiba SD-3950. It does sound good on all of them. A couple of things I notice is the clock crystal is 28.322 mHz instead of a common 24.576 mHz. The other thing is the increased power over the normal Buf634 buffer that I am used to. That is because instead of the typical +/- 15 volts, they put the absolute maximum rated voltage on it of +/- 18 volts. It's also wired for full bandwidth mode.

Jul 17, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #25 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
the pic is too small to work from

anyone want to study the board and post a schematic so we can make a benchmark DAC 24/192 clone

That would be unethical.

Jul 17, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #26 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
the pic is too small to work from

anyone want to study the board and post a schematic so we can make a benchmark DAC 24/192 clone

Maybe if you contact them they will send you the schematic to you, I had pretty luck with a lot of manufacturers to the date, even Sony, most of them would send you a copy without problems....They don't care of one man doing a clone for personal use, the selling of clones, is what they would not like....

Jul 17, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #27 of 181
Both the Benchmark DAC1 and the Bel Canto DAC2 use the AD1896 async sample rate converter. The evaluation board for the AD1896 is only $167 and includes a Toslink and coax input, S/PDIF receiver, DAC, and opamps. Just add a power supply and you have a close one.

Jul 17, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #28 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by dip16dac
Both the Benchmark DAC1 and the Bel Canto DAC2 use the AD1896 async sample rate converter. The evaluation board for the AD1896 is only $167 and includes a Toslink and coax input, S/PDIF receiver, DAC, and opamps. Just add a power supply and you have a close one.

I have looked at this and want to order one, is stating a buisiness in the registration needed to get the evaluation board or can anyone obtain one?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back