Inside the latest Benchmark DAC1
Jul 23, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #152 of 181
I am sorry to interrupt the technical discussion, but would someone mind explaining exactly why a high output impedance on the analog outputs are a bad thing? Is it an issue with decreased sound quality, or a limiting factor in terms of interconnect selection and/or length? Thanks!

Jul 23, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #153 of 181
Wow!!! this thread reads like peeping into a cafe full of nuclear reactor engineers just chatting their stuff away
biggrin.gif
. Jsiaui welcome to Headfi and sorry for your wallet!

Irondreamer on behalf of your ears, to say the least you should thank the DAC1 for making you switch from cd3k's to senn's
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #154 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreYew
edit: I use Neutrik NC3FX-B and NC3MX-B connectors for balanced cables. I've never used the EasyCons. The Neutrik website has the specs for all their different connectors.

Andre

quick question, The models you have mentioned are not connector plugs but look more like faceplates that are used on the Benchmark.
Are you sure they are the correct model number.
the link to models that you mentioned is below
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...m=NC3FX&off=78

Also which of the Canare RCA Plugs would be a good choice for the Canare L-4E6S. this cable is an XLR version so should go nicely with wither connector.
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...P%2DC3A&off=10
if you think another cable might be better can you advise which one on Markertek.
The choice is quite large and I have never worked with cables much.

Jul 24, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #155 of 181
Kunwar,

I like the Canare F-10 RCA connectors (or F-09 if you have a narrow opening that you need the RCA body to fit through, like the HeadRoom Supreme) found here:

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...&search=0&off=

The pictures for the Neutrik XLR pages are for the chassis-mount plugs, but the model numbers are correct. You can look at the Neutrik website for the pictures and model numbers:

http://www.neutrik.com

I've used L-4E6S, and it's a nice cable, though because of its star-quad construction, it has pretty high capacitance. Since you're doing a balanced to unbalanced converter, you're not going to take advantage of the star-quad, which is why I recommended a two-conductor cable, like Canare GS6. It's probably not going to hurt to try 4E6S, especially if you keep the lengths short (it should be completely negligible from a 3-foot run for example). Capacitance will roll off your high frequencies faster with longer cables.

--Andre

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #156 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
I am sorry to interrupt the technical discussion, but would someone mind explaining exactly why a high output impedance on the analog outputs are a bad thing? Is it an issue with decreased sound quality, or a limiting factor in terms of interconnect selection and/or length? Thanks!

High output impedance makes the output stage more sensitive to cabling. The primary thing is its interaction with a cable's capacitance to roll off high frequencies. Also, more important perhaps for live sound applications, is that a high-Z unbalanced output is more sensitive to microphonics, where physical manipulation (like hitting or stepping on a cable) produces an electric voltage. If you're a paranoid audiophile who listens to speakers, you may worry too that the sound of the speakers coupling into the cable may produce microphonics, but I have no hard figures that proves or disproves this mechanism.

And if you interface to an input that has relatively low input impedance (like something that's less than 100x higher than the output impedance), you can get audible attenuation of the signal. This attenuation may be frequency dependent as well, depending on the cable and input impedances.

The best interface of all is a balanced interface with very low output impedance.

--Andre

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #157 of 181
thanks for the clarification Andre.
The canare is definitely practical and looks solidly built.
I will be getting a couple of those.
About the Canare GS6 is it the same as the Canare GS6 guitar cable which is what it seems to be listed as on Markertek?
I guess since I am in Australia, I would not want to get something wrong after paying the shipping costs.

Thanks for your continued help

Cheers
Kunar

Jul 25, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #158 of 181
Kunwar,

The GS6 would work fine, but you could probably get a decent 2-conductor cable locally too instead of ordering it from Markertek.

The Canare F-10 feels very solid, and much more expensive that its price would imply.

--Andre

Jul 30, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #160 of 181
I bought HOSA XLR->RCA adapter at a local guitar store. Never heard of the brand, but build quality seems good. I continue to use unbalanced RCA connector to my integrated amplifier. With XLR (30 ohms impedance), high frequency extension seems better than RCA output (1250 ohms). Higher notes in piano and violin sound slightly different btween XLR and RCA. But once I set the jumper to -10 dB attenuation (1600 ohm) for XLR, the sound reverted back to RCA signatures. It looks like output impedance can make a difference, though extremely tiny, afterall.

Aug 3, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #162 of 181
I went to the Hosa website and noticed the same thing about pin 3 on the XLR to RCA adapter. This seems to violate the instructions left by jsiau.

I am very interested in getting some adapters to use the balanced outputs of the DAC1 with my Singlepower MPX3...can anyone recommend a place where I can get adapters wired the way jsiau described?

Aug 6, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #164 of 181
I just opened the Hosa connector and saw that pin 3 is connected to ground.
What can I do now?

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #165 of 181
One option is to physically disconnect the 3rd pin or the other option is to use a good guitar cable and then build your own.
Recommended materials are Canare GS-6 with Neutrik XLR jacks with Canare FS-09/10 RCA connectors.

These work quite well.
i am getting a professionally made cable which I bought of a fellow head-fier and can't wait to try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back