Inside the fake IE8
Jan 4, 2010 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kloan

1000+ Head-Fier
Here are some photos I took of the driver found inside a pair of fake IE8s.

Looks like it has the 'tuner port', which is surprising. I would have expected to find just a screw that turns nothing at all. Shame the driver itself is garbage, so there's nothing to adjust. I didn't find turning the screw made a difference in sound, plus I couldn't actually get a seal with any of the tips I have. Perhaps with the foam tips, had these come with them, but they didn't.

Opening them up was simple. Just had to pop the little cover piece that covers the screw, unscrew the little screw, pry open the housing. The driver is glued in, so I just pried it out with a little pocket knife.

Here are the pics (pictures of real IE8 courtesy of Thresher, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/b...photos-449778/):

Fakes:
--------
fakeie8_a.jpg

Real Driver:
---------------
realie8b.jpg

Fake Driver:
---------------
fakeie8_b.jpg

Real:
-------------------------------------------------------
realie8.jpg

Fake:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
insideie8.jpg

fakeie8_c.jpg

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 16
So are you going to put it back together and return it? Could you find any genuine IE8 internal pics to place them side-by-side?

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 16
Lol, the emails between me and the Chinese supplier were quite funny. Needless to say, I'm chalking it up to a learning experience, though I wasn't really expecting to receive authentic IE8s to begin with.

Unfortunately I don't have any real IE8s I can take apart to compare. But I'll see if I can find any on the web to post up and I'll edit my post to include them (if I find any).

Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you find part number on the drive?

Nope, none. No identifiable markings or part numbers anywhere.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 16
IMG TOO BIG
**DELETED**

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 16
**DELETE**
PIC TOO BIG

Now that he's got em in the original post.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 16
That's one ugly driver

You might want to resize those pics modifiedz...

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 16
So you can see from the pics the real driver is separate from the tuner port. As well, the real driver fits into the housing in it's own circular space, whereas the fake ones fit in as one whole unit with the 'tuner port' which directs the sound into the tube.

There you have it folks, absolute proof that the fakes are indeed far inferior to the real thing, in every way.

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #12 of 16
kloan-
Thanks for your work on this thread. Great information for all.

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #13 of 16
No prob, I just felt like expanding on SolidVictory's thread, which already has a lot of useful information. This will hopefully dispel any remaining doubt in people's minds, and not to expect by some freak miracle that they're going to sound anything like the real thing.

Small update:
I actually pried the driver out of the plastic piece attached to it, and put the plastic piece back into the housing, and it looks the same as the real one now. So it looks as though Thresher's driver was separated from the plastic piece. So there are really only two obvious differences, one being the wires and the other being the shape of the inside of the housing piece.

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #15 of 16
I noticed in the inside flap of the fake one, there's the letter "R" on it, whereas on the original, there's just a protruding circular plastic (dunno the term for this), perhaps to hold the driver in place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back