Inside the Darth Beyer
Feb 4, 2007 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

shigzeo

The Hiss King
hello everyone... again. in a few months, i will be on the verge of buying the darth beyer and just wondered one thing. i have the dt770 and love the huge soundstage for a closed phone... are the innards of the darth beyers still concave as the stock? that soundstage is killer and i want to know how it compares with the wood and the way it echoes.

today on the train, i was surprised by faithless' albums and i reckon it is the beautiful shape. if the inner of the darth beyer is still like that, i will spill some money into larry's hands...

cheers

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 61
Well, i asked larry but he wouldn't tell what goes on in there
Which is pretty fair i guess, it's a trade secret

Some people believed the main improvement is from making the cable dual sided (and better cable)

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphile.com
I DON'T APPRECIATE CLONING of MY IDEAS for profit, nor those that buy clones. Show some respect, PLEASE. Building something for your own use is fine, but please don't give directions or pictures of the process.

I'm not sure but this sort of discussion could be frowned upon by Larry. I only bring it up because I read the above quote on Headphile.com, and Larry being a prominent sponsor of Head-Fi, it would be good to respect his wishes.

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 61
I don’t think there is anything wrong with asking...you are wanting to be an informed consumer...Larry has the power to answer only the questions that he wants to but you also have the power to not buy the upgrade if you do not have sufficient answers to your questions...threads like this are very valuable to the consumer especially for people who don’t want to throw 200 dollars into headphones when they don’t know what’s being done..im not bashing the darth beyer or larry.. in fact i too am considering a darth mod on my dt770/80 I just don’t think we should hinder our ability to be educated consumers..

My 2cent

Feb 4, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 61
man, you guys are killin me! i love my akg k81dj's and i hear darth beyers are the super refined version version of them.

argh!

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Netminder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don’t think there is anything wrong with asking...you are wanting to be an informed consumer...Larry has the power to answer only the questions that he wants to but you also have the power to not buy the upgrade if you do not have sufficient answers to your questions...threads like this are very valuable to the consumer especially for people who don’t want to throw 200 dollars into headphones when they don’t know what’s being done..im not bashing the darth beyer or larry.. in fact i too am considering a darth mod on my dt770/80 I just don’t think we should hinder our ability to be educated consumers..

My 2cent

Clearly people think they are head and shoulders above standard dt770/80's by a wide, wide margin. So your choices are either to listen to a pair, or just buy one. The internals are Larry's business.

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 61
I will say this - the improvement in sound is way more than the cable. I won't say what's inside the DB;s, but I will say that it is definitely a major contributor to the improvement in sound.

They are worth every penny, and then some.

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_cs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The internals are Larry's business.

It is the consumers business what is in the mod that the consumer paid for...if larry wants to not answer, he can refuse...but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a thread such as this asking relevant questions about a product.

Feb 5, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 61
Coming from stock beyers to V2's, the soundstage only got better. You should have no worries.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #12 of 61
well, i am glad for every reply. i had thought this thread would be far dead, but... anyway, i will be selling everything in my room pretty much as i am moving to a smaller room and then country. headphones however are very easy to get overseas.

i had almost parted with my dt880 but i listened even more and decided even if i do get the darth beyer, i cannot part with my dt880. skylab, thanks for your answer. i figure, if anyone knows the darths, it is you, but you have to many pair mate! anyway, one day i will start an appreciation thread for you... somehow, somewhere you came into our lives and i am enriched...

as for the db's -- if the soundstage is even better and bass more controlled, i can see no reason that they should not be worth the money... when i haves it

Feb 5, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will say this - the improvement in sound is way more than the cable. I won't say what's inside the DB;s, but I will say that it is definitely a major contributor to the improvement in sound.

They are worth every penny, and then some.

fanboy!
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fanboy!
tongue.gif

Guilty, as charged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back