Inserting Ety's in the wrong direction
Dec 26, 2001 at 10:16 PM Post #16 of 58
I suggest that we vote him off the island!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 26, 2001 at 11:50 PM Post #17 of 58
Just don't try and insert them too deep. Providing you get a good seal you should be getting a real close idea of what the Ety sound is all about.

I have found that when I just 'wham them in' it doesn't work - you really need to get the ear equalization right - that takes a little time and experimentation.

Custom earmoulds do help tremendously as they enable you to get a consistant sound with no real effort - although even with earmoulds there is a danger of not getting equalization right.

The easiest way of achieving that elusive fit in my opinion is to try and get a seal without feeling like you're all bunged up - after a couple of minutes you should almost not be aware of having them in your ears.

I really hope this helps as they are an excellent headphone and well worth sticking at it.

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by BB.
Hopefully reading this will help someone else who's been having problems getting a good seal. These things seal really easily when you do it right.

I'm that someone else!!

After reading this forum for hours trying to decided if I'm going to keep my 4P's (still within the 30 day return from Headroom) or get custom molds or perhaps even UE's, I just tried your insertion method.

Well the difference is amazing! These sound great now. I'm might actually keep them but the UE's sure sound even better!

Thanks VERY MUCH for the post.

Chet

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 58
I initially had problems with the triflange where the pain would be unbearable after an hour or so. I called Etymotic and requested a pair of the ER6i large biflange. This biflange is the same as the triflange with the smallest flange cut off, EXCEPT it has a longer stem so that it the filter is recessed and not flush with the flange hole. With these, I can easily get an optimal seal every single time.

1) (insertion for left ear) I reach over with my right hand, grasp upper ear and pull up and out and hold.

2) Open mouth and insert eartip at an upward angle until insertion starts to significantly slow.

3) Release upper ear and now grasp lower lobe and pull out. This temporarily breaks the seal and relieves any pressure the initial insertion might have caused on the eardrum. Simultaneously, I push the ety's further up with a twisting motion until they won't go any further.

4) repeat for other ear.

The isolation I get with the large biflange is much better than I had gotten previously with the triflange. It's on par with the foamies.

Jun 8, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #22 of 58
Jcorkery or others, it would be much easier to understand how to insert them correctly with a picture... Could someone post one, please ?

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #23 of 58
isnt it great when they work well? the sound is uberpimp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB.
I examed my wife's ear (she was not thrilled about this!) trying to figure out how I could have been sometimes getting a good seal despite putting the phones into the wrong part of the ear.

this is prime quote material. i like it
etysmile.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #24 of 58
I think the theory is that you get a good seal, so that your canals can qualify as "closed canel" for the specific equalization of canal phones. In any case, the angled insertion works! I'm using it now and I can consistently get better seal than the straight in method (and one that is less likely to loosen over time). The angled insertion is also less deep, as such it's probably less painful for some who try to jam the phones in these. With the tri-flange, you know you have a good seal once it feels like the air was sucked out of your ears. Soundwise, the bass is obviously more and there's also other "improvements".

Jun 8, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #25 of 58
I get the best seal when I stick them up my nose.....but the sound is muffled and there is no soundstage at all...maybe my nostrils are too close together??
orphsmile.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #27 of 58
Try other orifices...you may need the extra large foamies to get a good seal and some ky....

Jokes aside...

I get the best seal when using the silicon tip but used backwards and with the smallest of the 3 flanges cut off.
I.e. the largest flange [flipped back] goes in your ear first followed by the 2nd flange [also flipped backward].
The tip of the filter is now only about 1mm deep into the silicon tip so keep your ears clean.

The sound using the above method is awesome!!

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i pull down on my earlobe, which causes my ear canal to bend down and allows me to get the "upwards" insertion very easily. a dab of spit helps, as well.

Just tried this, it slides in like it was meant to be there!

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonTheMan
I find the reaching over the ear method to be cumbersome and have since evolved to just shoving the Ety in and giving it a few twists to obtain a good fit.

I'll second that method. I've had my ER4-Ps for 10 months now, and have never bothered with such contortions; I angle the tip up about 45 degrees, and twist it back and forth continually until I feel it is seated deep enough. This motion became intuitive after cutting off the smallest flange, then trying to avoid wax build up on the now-more-exposed filter by touching it against the walls of my ear canals.

One suggestion that helps is some form of lubrication, but it should only be the slightest amount; the friction generated by the twisting motion can be quite irritating if the canals and tips are "too clean". Others have mentioned chapstick as a good lubricant, and from my experience (I find a *trace* of earwax - just enough on the tips to see a gloss, makes tip insertion and final seal nearly perfect), this sounds like a great idea; it's portable and non-messy as well.

Another suggestion for those with biflanges has been to add material (foam, silicone etc. to the last (largest) flange, to get a better seal. I have yet to try this, but it sounds like the answer to some biflange problems I have been having (less acoustic isolation, and occasional collapse/distortion of the outer flange.

Cheers,
Mark

Jun 8, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by XP_98
Jcorkery or others, it would be much easier to understand how to insert them correctly with a picture... Could someone post one, please ?
smily_headphones1.gif

One picture says more than hundred words...

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back