Insanity Update - WOO, ATH, Beyer... etc
Jun 12, 2005 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

canloader

500+ Head-Fier
Ok -
It's been three months since joining Head-Fi.
Since then I have acquired:
Beyer Dynamic: DT880, DT770/80, DT990Pro
Sony: MDR-SA5000, CD-3000
ATH-W100
(Grado RS-1 in transit)
WOO WA-3 (Constant tube rolling)
ASL MG-HeadDT (Not impressed with build)
With numerous cables/adapter configurations.
I have completely neglected my two channel and home theater systems.(Vast power consumption decrease!)
I have many questions but most have been answered in past postings. Although I did think of digging up a few buried threads..
I really want a pair of STAX. Being an electrostatic speaker nut. I love the way a full range planer speaker disperses frequencies and fills the “sweet spot” with uncolored sound. I can only imagine what the earspeakers could do. With the sound soo sweet from the WOO leaves me wanting to explore a more powerful tube amplifier. Has anyone else found that the WOO starts breaking up at the 12’o clock position with Beyers? It’s plenty loud between the 9 and 11’o clock but sometimes I want to pulse the pads.
I’d like to know your WOO/HeadCan combo and your opinions on volume…

YEA !!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by canloader
Ok -
ATH-W100
(Grado RS-1 in transit)

blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

all i can say.

Jun 12, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by canloader
Ok -
ATH-W100
(Grado RS-1 in transit)

I'd
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
too, if i didn't know that, had I the money, i'd likely be in the same boat
biggrin.gif

Translated, that means - damn you rich people!

Jun 12, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm not quite sure I know why you bought all those headphones. Are you trying to find a particular sound or do you switch back and forth all the time?

Jun 12, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Vencman
I'm not quite sure I know why you bought all those headphones. Are you trying to find a particular sound or do you switch back and forth all the time?

That's a great question.. At first I was looking for a full rich well balanced sound with deep bass extension(Aren't we all?) But soon found it wasn't that easy.. In the beginning "hot swapping" from the SA5k to DT880 I was finding both to have their own magic. Although radically different, all these phones have something to offer for different types of music. I think I'm going to prematurely wear out the headphone jack on the WOO. Totally Nutz. Come to think of it I did this with my two channel set-up but not as drastic as speakers and large amplifiers are not easily handled.
The ATH-W100 are incredible for Sitar/Tablas, Female vocals, General Acoustic type music.
The SA-5k are well suited for SACD/DVD-A high-bit recordings which I mainly use for classical.
The CD-3000 can rock but are a little close to the ears giving a headstage feel. Nice detail and volume, Heavy on the head with pillow plush earcups, and a slight lacking toward the lower frequencies.
The Beyer family is very diverse. Having three pair it's amazing how much different each pair sound.
The 880 are quiet/open with clarity and detail.
The 990 are crisp full range, fast and pulse with precision.
The 770 are like putting on a pair of studio monitoring speakers. With the volume, bass and overall musical clarity you would expect from a professional studio headphone.
All in all I'm having a great time confusing/questioning myself and thus isolating me from everybody wondering where I went and why I don't answer the phone or door.. Simply because "I can't hear it" ha

Maybe I'll start with the AKG-1000 then go to STAX ? I'll need a different amplifier then.. AHH
eek.gif

Help!

Jun 14, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 6
AHH! No go on the RS-1 -
ebay seller kalas38 listed three but said to only have two in stock..
The two prior bidders already received theirs..
I was paid and waiting for delivery..
Money refunded no RS-1 ...
bummed -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back