Insane Question! Using Headphones for watching movies?
Mar 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #16 of 20
$2910, and this baby is yours:

http://www.smyth-research.com/store.html

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 20
What's the point of having great phones if you're not gonna use them? Why would you limit yourself to music only? As long as you got the appropriate setup, go for movies, go for games, if you're into them - the sky's the limit.

I actually enjoy listening to music WHILE playing games, or listening to a movie while playing games. I multitask, sort of. And it works quite well for me.

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #18 of 20
I used to use K501 till round 2009. Now I use T50RP straight from my laptop.

I tend to reserve my AKGs for music. The Fostex is very non-fatiguing and versatile, perfect for shows and movies with a lot of dialogue. Also I don't care about being careful with them as they're not delicate or expensive.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #19 of 20
I plugged the headphones into the TV thru a headphone out jack.  Sound is very thin not engaging at all.

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #20 of 20
AKG and Sennheiser both make wireless headphones with dedicated surround processors, I haven't used either.

Personally I owned some closed Ultrasones that I only enjoyed watching movies and TV with. They handled dialogue and effects well but didn't like them for music.

I also preferred my old AKG K300s with movies and TV over the K501 and K1000 I owned concurrently. My K550s perform surprisingly well and more importantly don't bleed sound and disturb others.

My takeaway from these experiences is that a warm, (closed headphone as to avoid disturbing others) with a midrange bump and tight-ish not overpowering bass, and almost exaggerated staging perform the task better than a higher fidelity neutral headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back