insane ebay auction
Jan 22, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 9
eek.gif

Jan 22, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 9
There's probably something wrong with the auction bids.

Maybe the guy bid $400 insted of $40 by mistake. There's probably little chance of the buyer paying that much for them.

And the guy bumping up the price has a history of not paying- 82.5% for feedback. So it's probably just a mistake and the deadbeat bidder is pushing the price up for fun- at 82% feedback what does he have to lose?

OK on second look the winning bidder is insane. Look at the guys previous buys and the price's are crazy. $100 for a pair of Raytheon 7025's and on and on. And the sales were completed it would seem based on his 100% Feedback.

So I think the guy is rich and insane. He's bought some nice tubes for top dollar.

Mitch

Jan 23, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 9
Those are good tubes, but $396?! that's ridiculous.

I'd venture that this is a scam: one person bids as two different ebay users, bidding and counter-bidding to make it look "real", then with one he bids so high that no one would possibly out-bid him (ie: $396), then with only seconds left in the auction, he retracts his bid, letting his other account win at a very discount price.

If not a scam, then just stupid bidders
biggrin.gif

-dd3mon

Jan 23, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by warubozu
According to Ebay rules, you can't retract a bid within the last 12 hours of an auction.

They must have fixed the problem then, last year it was "all the rage" with the ripoff crowd.

-dd3mon

Jan 23, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Something about more money than brains comes to mind. Those tubes are worht less than half that amount of money. Man, I remember when I found those Raytheon Windmill getters for $15 each. I posted the link here and the guy sold all 15 of them within minutes. In hind sight I should have bought them all and sold them for $45 each and funded my first amp.
frown.gif
Or waited and emailed this guy and sold them for $125 a piece.

Jan 23, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 9
That reminds me of the OTHER shill bidding tactic -- driving the used price *down*. How it works is that the prospective buyer of an item puts up a (fake) auction of that item for sale and uses shills to bid the price up very high, much more than it is normally worth. He keeps doing this until the (real) sellers of that item notice, say, "DAMN this widget is worth a lot! I'm going to sell my stock NOW!". At which point he stops bidding, the supply of the item massively exceeds demand (temporarily), and he can get it for dirt cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back