inrush current blowing relays that are switching amplifiers on/off. How to prevent this?
Apr 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

n8huntsman

New Head-Fier

I have 4 T1's from hifimediy and I connected them to a sainsmart 4-relay board, http://www.sainsmart.com/home-page-view/4-channel-5v-relay-module-for-pic-arm-avr-dsp-arduino-msp430-ttl-logic.html
Power is 36v from a conex. SMPS300R.
I plugged it in and began switching on and off each amplifier, it worked fine for about a minute. Then the relays welded together. There was no load on the amps at all, so there should not have been much current, besides, the relays on the board are the same as the relays on the amps so I'm figured they are rated high enough.

Is there a lot of inrush current that could have welded them together?
Is there a simple solution to this problem?
If not, I think I'll have to leave the power turned on to the amps and switch the audio output instead.
Would I have any issues with an amp being powered but having the relay essentially remove the speaker?

I ordered another relay board and some thermistors but I'm not too confident that that will fix my problem since the current will fluctuate, I don't know that the thermistor resistance will drop much.
In case anyone asks how it's wired.... the SMPS300R ground is tied to the grounds of the 4 amps. The + goes to the relays. Then each amp's + goes to it's own NO relay pin. The relays coil is being triggered by an Arduino. The coil is getting voltage, just not doing anything because the relays are stuck.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back