Inquisitor35 intro thread
Jul 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

inquisitor35

New Head-Fier
Hello, all. I figured I'd hop on here and do an intro thread so that later on down the road when someone goes, "Who's this dirty lurker and where did he come from?"after I finally comment on something they have something to look at.

First of all, I grew up as an audiophile because of my father. His hobby through his teenage and graduate school years was short-wave radio followed by building his own high-end audio equipment. I think the reason for this is that he grew up quite poor in rural Illinois and while he had the ears of an audiophile he simply couldn't afford ANY decent equipment. As a result, in the living room of my childhood home had a component system which was all hand-built from the ground up driven by a home-made 500 watt tube amp running six foot tall electrostatic speakers. They sounded (and still sound) incredible, even though those speakers no longer exist.

Over the years I've always enjoyed music. I could often hear when something was "wrong" with the sound produced, either by a crappy source or bad headphones. However, I prefer to listen to music on the go with in-ears and until fairly recently I didn't even realize that audiophile quality mobile equipment existed. This discovery, combined with my father's death last year, has gotten me back into hifi in a big way. I'm not real up on the terminology and equipment out there, but I'm here to help fix that. However, since I'm a graduate student it's not like I have scadloads of cash to throw at music, so for right now it's a FiiO X3 and a Shure SE215. (UE 900s are on the way and when they inevitably break, I'll probably have them custom reshelled.) 

My musical tastes are pretty varied, but tend toward electronica such as The Prodigy, Crystal Method, Photek and alt metal like Tool, Alice in Chains, etc.) as well as some dubstep such as Nostalgia, Lindsey Stirling and Blackmill.

Outside of music, I'm an Army veteran who spent time in the sandbox, which is where my moniker is from. My other hobbies include martial arts, most recently Brazilian Jiujitsu and Kickboxing. I enjoy riding motorcycles, linux computing and reading (generally sci-fi, but urban fantasy has become common as well.) I live in Indiana, have three dogs who are varying degrees of crazy and a fiance who recently got her PhD.

So there's the quick and dirty.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 2
Congrats! Welcome to Head-Fi! Most of the members here are very nice and you'll find all your answers here.

Custom reshelling a UE900 is smart, but IMO, the older pre-logitech TF10's kill the UE900. The UE900's have horrible midrange compared to the classic TF10, and IMO, I'd much rather resell/return the UE900's (if they were bought new) and buy a used TF10 for cheap and reshell those.

Get on ebay and search username "inearcustom" -- Rob did a SE530 for me, cIEM, and did a wonderful job for not that much money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back