Inquiry About a Sibling Rivalry: HRT Music Streamer II vs HRT Music Streamer II+
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AndreyS

New Head-Fier
After much time holding my clenched fist under my chin, I have narrowed my desktop USB DAC search down to two brothers:
The HRT Music Streamer II and HRT Music Streamer II+

Needless to say, you cannot really find any solid qualitative differences between the two; just qualitative differences between their distortions, which say nothing as to how they sound.

So far, I have found out that these Music Streamers uses the PCM1744 DAC chip and an asynchronous USB which allows it to interpret 96kHz/24bit signals.

I also know that all of them get rave reviews as best-for-the-money DACs.

I humbly ask you, fine forum members, to assist me in my decision of whether or not the Music Streamer II+ is worth the additional $200 for my purposes and in general.

Here is my audio intended configuration:
Macbook Pro (already have)
Grado SR325is (already have and am pretty much in love)
Little Dot I+ (intend to order soon)
An HRT Music Streamer II of one sort or another

What do you guys think?

Vent your thoughts!

Thanks in Advance,
AndreyS

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 14
After much time holding my clenched fist under my chin, I have narrowed my desktop USB DAC search down to two brothers:
The HRT Music Streamer II and HRT Music Streamer II+

Needless to say, you cannot really find any solid qualitative differences between the two; just qualitative differences between their distortions, which say nothing as to how they sound.

So far, I have found out that these Music Streamers uses the PCM1744 DAC chip and an asynchronous USB which allows it to interpret 96kHz/24bit signals.

I also know that all of them get rave reviews as best-for-the-money DACs.

I humbly ask you, fine forum members, to assist me in my decision of whether or not the Music Streamer II+ is worth the additional $200 for my purposes and in general.

Here is my audio intended configuration:
Macbook Pro (already have)
Grado SR325is (already have and am pretty much in love)
Little Dot I+ (intend to order soon)
An HRT Music Streamer II of one sort or another

What do you guys think?

Vent your thoughts!

Thanks in Advance,
AndreyS

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 14
I bought a "demo unit" Music Streamer II from MusicDirect.com for $100. I received the unit in a proper retail box and everything. As far as I can tell the only thing being a "demo unit" means is that it is a unit that might have been shown on the showroom floor. I used the money I saved to buy a proper audio USB cable with the unit. I tested the audio USB cable against a standard one that I had lying around and the audio USB cable did provide me with an audible improvement over the standard one.

I know this might not answer your question really, but it does give you something to consider regarding the price,

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 14
Sorry about the double post. I am unsure how that happened...

And thanks ABXG! I always assumed that digital cable quality did not matter. Would you say that you are happy with the Music Streamer II?

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Sorry about the double post. I am unsure how that happened...

And thanks ABXG! I always assumed that digital cable quality did not matter. Would you say that you are happy with the Music Streamer II?

I am quite pleased with the Music Streamer II, it provided me with a marked improvement over my Xonar D2X. I have had (and loved) my D2X for a few years before upgrading. I am quite pleased with my purchase. I can't comment on if the MSII+ is worth it over the MSII, but I can say that I am very pleased with my purchase of the MSII.

And regarding the USB cable, I posted this in another thread:
USB cables have an analog and a digital component to them. The digital component transfers the actual audio data while the analog component provides power to the system. Audio-grade USB cables are designed with this in mind so they use higher quality parts, shielded cables, and even filters in order to get the best sound out of the cable.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 14
After snooping around these very forums, I found a very similar thread to this one (sorry) and an article link posted by thuantran. It is still more cloudy qualitative description between the two amps. I nevertheless concluded the following using the posted review.

When they reviewed the MS2+, they said that they could notice a difference between the MS2 and MS2+ ... with Sennheiser HD800s...
These are, needless to say, big kahunas at $1500 a pair. So, here is my decision: I probably won't notice any difference with my $295 Grados.

Acting on this decision, I ordered the Music Streamer II today (along with some lower-end AudioQuest RCA and USB cables)! They should be here tomorrow (thank the lord for Amazon Prime)! I will make sound comparisons between three subsystems:

1) Macbook Pro -> 3.5mm to stereo RCA -> Onkyo receiver input -> built in headphone amplifier -> Grado SR325is
2) PS3 (music streaming) -> HDMI -> Dynex cheapo LCD-TV internal DAC -> 
AudioQuest Stereo RCA -> Onkyo receiver input -> built in headphone amplifier -> Grado SR325is
3) Macbook Pro -> AudioQuest USB -> HRT Music Streamer II -> AudioQuest Stereo RCA -> Onkyo receiver input -> built in headphone amplifier -> Grado SR325is

Hopefully I will be blown away by the difference! Despite its 21 years of age, the headphone amplifier in this old Onkyo beast is pretty decent (better than Macbook Pro or iPod build in amp/DACs).

Here is the glorious thing (plus Integra equalizer XD ):

Apr 27, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 14
The tests have been done!

The music comes alive with this little red box! The bass has impact, the treble sparkles gloriously, I got tingles!

I am a happy camper!

Now to wait for my Little Dot I+ to be made and shipped...

PICTURES!

THE LENGTH.

THE RCA END

THE ASYNCHRONOUS USB END

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 14
Nice man. I went with an open box Music Streamer II+  for $295 to go along with my e9 until the Schiit Lyr comes in. MSII+ to e9 to D7000 is really an amazing combination. Hope I like it as much with the Lyr. Good luck with it.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #11 of 14
OP, I am looking to use the same exact setup you have. Currently waiting on my Little Dot 1+ to get here (I also have a pair of sr325is) and I am trying to make my decision about a dedicated DAC. I look forward to more reviews!

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #12 of 14
What are the differences in the quality coming from the macbook pro's integrated hd audio?  My current rig uses an external amp, but no external dac.  I'm wondering if it would be worth it over my iMac's intel hd audio.  If anything it'd remove the electrical interference generated whenever I have something going on with the computer.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 14
Well TMRaven, going from the DAC/Onkyo combination to the Macbook Pro would not be a fair test of the differences between the sound quality of each source. Although when I did this yesterday, I noticed a marked disappearance of bass impact and treble. Also, the music sounded less detailed.

To provide a more fair test today, I used two set ups:

1) Macbook Pro -> 3.5mm to RCA -> Onkyo -> Grados
2) Macbook Pro -> USB -> HRT Music Streamer II -> RCA -> Onkyo -> Grados

This tests the differences in sound quality and characteristics of the laptop headphone out (used as a line out) and the HRT Music Streamer.

Here are the tracks used:
Misery - David's True Story @ 2.7Mbps, 96kHz, 24bit
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Violin Concerto in G major (KV 216) - Allegro - Marianne Thorsen / TrondheimSolistene @ 2.5Mbps, 96kHz, 24bit
Moby Dick - Led Zeppelin @ 2.9Mbps, 96kHz, 24bit
Tangerine - Led Zeppelin @ 3Mbps, 96kHz, 24bit

Overall, I definitely noticed an increase in detail with the HRT Music Streamer II. Both configurations detected small noises (like stray guitar strums, or nuances of violin pitch fluctuations), but the Music Streamer configuration presented these details with much more definition. Also, in all tracks, I noticed more bass impact with the Music Streamer, along with highs that were more pleasant (they sounded rather harsh with the Macbook Pro headphone out).

Frankly, this test is still flawed. I used an amplifier that is not dedicated to headphones. Not only that, it is 21 year old piece of equipment (built in 1990). I am sure that the years have caused it to lose much of its sharpness, and, in 21 years, headphones jacks in HiFi components have undoubtedly improved. To put simply, this is no means a reference headphone amplifier.

I am rather confident that once I receive my Little Dot I+, I will be able to tell the differences with ease. Until then, take what you wish from this impromptu review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back