Input Tube Adaptor in a Non-SinglePower Amp?
Nov 20, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #16 of 84
I would be interested any any listening impressions from the 6F8G and adaptor...

Do they really compare well with a good 6SN7?

Thanks!

Paul

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #17 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by mourip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be interested any any listening impressions from the 6F8G and adaptor...

Thanks!

Paul

I have the tubes now .... just waiting on the adapters.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #18 of 84
Quote:

Thanks!

Paul

I actually think that the 6F8G sounds slightly better than a 6SN7. I very much look forward to SacdLover's impressions
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #19 of 84
I'll be curious to hear Earl's thoughts as well. If anyone would like to split the cost I'll be ordering a pair of the adapters as soon as I get paid for a few minor sales I have going on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 84
Skylab, which adaptor did you order? I found two on EBAY. One comes from Taiwan and looks very much like the SinglePower type except that it has the wire for the cap. The other vendor is in the US but those adaptors looked a bit funky to me...

I bought one of the Taiwan adaptors and am waiting on it also. I got my first tube in yesterday. They look very cool with that cap....

I hate waiting
popcorn.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #21 of 84
I ordered the funky american adapters today along with 3 tubes from my tube pimp. I'm hoping it'll all arrive before the turkey day long weekend so I can get some quality listening in.

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #22 of 84
Quote:

Skylab, which adaptor did you order? I found two on EBAY. One comes from Taiwan and looks very much like the SinglePower type except that it has the wire for the cap. The other vendor is in the US but those adaptors looked a bit funky to me...

I bought one of the Taiwan adaptors and am waiting on it also. I got my first tube in yesterday. They look very cool with that cap....

I hate waiting
popcorn.gif

I got the ones from Taiwan - the ones from the US were not around when I got mine, but I am very happy with the build quality and look of the ones from Taiwan.

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #23 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually think that the 6F8G sounds slightly better than a 6SN7. I very much look forward to SacdLover's impressions
biggrin.gif

I dont know about better than the equivalent 6SN7GT .... but the 6F8G IS a seriously good sounding tube and certainly as good as any 6/12SN7GT I have used.

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #26 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aaaargh! I hate waiting!

I got my Raytheon and KenRad 6F8G today, now all I need is my adapter.

I have a Ken Rad 6F8G in the Supra-Extreme. The Ken Rad is a very, very nice sounding tube that mates extremely well with the TS 6080 output tubes .... and either my dBel84 modded Yamaha YH-1 orthodynamic or woodied MS1.

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #27 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GRRRR! You make me jealous. Aside from having a toastersytle chassis, you have tube adapters and shaped glass input/gain tubes.

My adapters & tubes are not here yet.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Do you know what 6F8Gs you are getting? The TS is really good too. I am betting I will be smitten with most of them except possibly the RCA. I usually find the RCAs to polite .... but that is with Senns. So we will see .....

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #28 of 84
I got a Kenrad, a Raytheon, and a Sylvania(Raytheon). Still looking for a Tungsol and a Mullard.

No adaptor yet...
popcorn.gif

Which sounded the best so far?

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #29 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know what 6F8Gs you are getting?

Im getting BL63. The info I found on them Indicates they should work in my amp, but have way more heater current. I will be topped out for heater current with 2*BL63&4*6sn7
smily_headphones1.gif

I have my eye on a couple 6F8G tubes too but must buy parts for a different project first.

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #30 of 84
Quote:

I got a Kenrad, a Raytheon, and a Sylvania(Raytheon). Still looking for a Tungsol and a Mullard.

No adaptor yet...
popcorn.gif

Which sounded the best so far?

I dont know .... they both sounded very good. The TS is in a high voltage Supra using 6bl7gta output tubes fed by an Opus/ zap filter dac .... while the KR is in a Supra Extreme with 6080 output tubes fed by a zap filter modded Zhalou dac. There are to many variables to say which tube will sound best where, without a lot of listening. However, I can say that both tubes give you the type of sound quality you hear from the very best 6/12sn7s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back