Input selector
Jul 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

igor0203

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm looking for some decent input selector but dunno which one to select. I also don't want to spend a fortune for it but let's say I would give 30-40€ for it. Also don't understand what means 2pole 6way or something?
Can anybody help me find me a proper selector?

Thanks in advance!

Igor

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 5
Well there's a few different ways to do it.  One way would be with a dual(or 2)pole, multi throw switch like a DPDT (2pole 2throw).  The number of poles is how many separate "switches" are operated by a single switch.  You want dual pole (or quad if you're doing balanced) because stereo is 2 channels therefore with each switch you use you want it to really be two switches.  The "throw" means how many different options there are.  DPST is basically an on/off switch, DPDT lets you switch between two different outputs, DPTT is between three things etc.  So when you say 2pole 6way, that means you'd have 6 different selections and you'd be controlling two mono switches.

So you could get a dual pole switch with as many throws as you want to switch between, so DPDT if you have two things to select between for example.  Another way to do it would be to use relays.  If you want just plain jane switching then a dual pole multi throw switch is much easier and simpler to implement, but if you wanted to switch balanced and have indicator lights or possible do other things then you'd need a 5+ pole switch - once you start getting into more specialized things it's hard to find what you're looking for.  Relays are helpful with this because you can use a 1pole multi throw switch and run all the relays you want to energize in parallel off the single pole of the switch.  They're probably way to complicated for what you want to do, but it's something to keep in mind for future projects.

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for explanation!

You have any recommendation for plain switch?
I was thinking to buy something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280473110657&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 5
That would work but then you'd have 24 different positions.  Assuming you'd only have maybe 4 or 5 inputs to select between, there will be 20 positions on the knob that won't do anything.  I suppose you could wire it so that it repeats (so the switch pattern is 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2...) but that seems like more work than is necessary.  

Something like http://cgi.ebay.de/5-2-Pole-5-Position-PANEL-PCB-5-WAY-ROTARY-SWITCH-2P5T-/300366686011?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ef3fe73b#ht_724wt_913 would work better as the switch would only have 5 positions total being simple to implement.  It's also cheaper - much cheaper since it comes as 5 switches in that auction giving you switches to use later for other things as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back