Input needed with Rudistor RP5cav
Mar 9, 2005 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gundam91

500+ Head-Fier
OK, I am really buffled with my new Rudistor 5.1cav! This is the latest as Rudi upgraded the board before shipping it out. I just checked his website and it is not even listed on his website, but the circuit board does say 5.1cav.

I tried it with many headphones at the local meet 2 weekends ago. It had about 10 hours or so of burn-in time then. It was hooked up to a Sonic Frontier SFCD-1. I got mixture of feedbacks. Someone liked it driving the Senns, someone commented that it sounded flat, etc. Well, when I tried driving some Sony headphones, it sounded terrible. I listened to a female vocal CD and it seemed to have major sibilance issue with all the Sony headphones. You hear the "Sssssss". I tried it with 3 pairs of Sony headphones. (R-10, CD-3000, and another one).

So could this be that the amp needs more burn-in time?

Anyways, I cooked my Rudistor 5.1cav for 20 hours with the XLO burn-in CD this past weekend. So now the amp has about 40 or 50 hours. Well, it still doesn't sound quite right with my HD600/Cardas. On one of my reference CDs, a Taiwanese female vocal/piano solo, the piano sounded way too bright and lean. The Rudistor has a pair of Sylvania 6922s inside. Last night, I opened up the top, and grab my box full of tubes, and tried various tubes (whitel label 6922 PQ, white label 7308 USN-CEP, Siemens CCa, Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8, Mullard 6922) So far, Mullard sounds the best. It tamed the brightness and brought out the mids.

The Rudistor sits on top of three Audio Selection cones (ceramic w/ metal tip) on top of a 1 1/2" thick wood block on top of my stand.

I will keep cooking the Rudistor and try out some more tubes. And I will try the Rudistor on Vibrapod as well.

Any suggestions are welcome. I am hoping to try a pair of Senn HD650 to see if I get a different result.

Mar 10, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 2
I use to own the Rudistor RP5. At that time I had the hd600/cardas combo and the RS-1's. I found the Rudistor responded better with the Grado than the senns.

But I should wait until about the 200hr mark before forming any kind of impression. But Rudi advises burn in, in 8 hour blocks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back