Input Appreciated- Used-like new Grado sr225 ( ear-cup ) for $160 Worth it?
Aug 17, 2009 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mr.logos

New Head-Fier
Hey all! long time reader, first time poster... lame i know: onto business
I want to get good headphones for my pc, i have an amp hooked up to my soundblaster, so i figured Grado should be a good choice for an amazing headphone. Prices seem to varry little, but the 160 for the 2nd hand like new 225s seems amazing. Does it sound legit and is it a good idea to buy 2nd hand grados? should i be aware of any pitfalls? THANKS for the input
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 17
A used SR225 was my first entry into this hobby. A very worthy can in its' own right. Back then I paid $150 USD shipped and including pay pal fees. This particular headphone would have been hard to discern from new. If your price includes shipping and pay pal fees it appears to be at worst a fair deal, and potentially a good deal.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 17
If you can get a quick test listen just to make sure they aren't blown out/messed up, then they should be a good starter.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthecheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can get a quick test listen just to make sure they aren't blown out/messed up, then they should be a good starter.

If it is sold be a fellow Head-Fier here - then there is absolutely NO need for a quick test at all. People here are pretty reliable and honest - just go for it.
k701smile.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 17
its from a respectable looking company, 100% feedback and all ( Rating:100% positive over the past 12 months (7663 ratings.) ) is what they say about themselves. just wanted to make sure they arent known for being bad used or something like that, and yeah price includes everything

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 17
No, generally not. I bought my ms-1s second hand. and i've had no problems.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 17
Are you purchasing them from ebay? If I'm not mistaken, you would have buyer protection through paypal. I would check out the FS forum, I sold a 225 here on HF for $125.00 US awhile back. Good luck, they are great headphones and my first introduction to this hobby.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.logos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, THAT was unexpected... i figured i was getting an amazing deal.

It's only 30 bucks, but if you are really concerned about price, there are plenty for sale here. You can trust the sellers.

OR, for $200, you can find a used SR-325 here.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 17
btw seeing as how i got you guys helping me out, id like to ask something else: how would these sound non-amped- say on my laptop or iphone, etc- just curious if they would be worse than say sr80 with the same usage, or the same- just wondering if i can use them for more "portable" applications except for pc/amp. thanks!

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.logos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw seeing as how i got you guys helping me out, id like to ask something else: how would these sound non-amped- say on my laptop or iphone, etc- just curious if they would be worse than say sr80 with the same usage, or the same- just wondering if i can use them for more "portable" applications except for pc/amp. thanks!

They sound fine un amp'd. They sound better amp'd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back