inp-140, a brief life
Aug 24, 2006 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

CSMR

1000+ Head-Fier
My ihp-140 has died prematurely after only a couple of weeks, just as the last music files were going on.

It had uploaded about 20Gb of music by USB 2 that session and then the transfer stalled. It was a quite warm from the hard drive usage. It still said "USB connection" or whatever the words are that Rockbox uses. It woudn't turn off so I disconnected it. Then no signs of life whatever, with or without battery attached.

Any suggestions as to what has gone wrong?

I was very happy with it - perfect to use and good quality outputs to my ears. But I have to say all this miniturization is not good for reliability. I'm sure people buy these devices with stylishness in mind, and can still use them for this purpose when they break down, but for music lovers it is no good.

I've posted this on mystic river but no response there; not many people live there.

Aug 24, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 13
Did you reset the player?

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 13
Resetting doesn't work. Hard drives are expensive so I'd like to be confident it will fix the problem before buying one. And the charger light's not turning on shouldn't be caused by a hard drive problem.

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 13
I would plug it into the charger and let it sit for a while... then reset it a few times.

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
Resetting doesn't work. Hard drives are expensive so I'd like to be confident it will fix the problem before buying one. And the charger light's not turning on shouldn't be caused by a hard drive problem.

Do you have a laptop you can plug the HDD into? If not you can buy a cable to hook it up to your desktop and test it out.

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek
Do you have a laptop you can plug the HDD into? If not you can buy a cable to hook it up to your desktop and test it out.

I am getting the tools to look inside.
Is it the same connection as a 2.5" laptop drive do you know? I have an adapter for those.

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
I am getting the tools to look inside.
Is it the same connection as a 2.5" laptop drive do you know? I have an adapter for those.

Im fairly sure it is. On newegg they put 1.8" and 2.5" drives together in the ATA-6 interface.

Edit: on second thought, maybe not. i just looked at one of my 2.5" drives and the connector seems to be wider than 1.8"

Aug 25, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Smokester
You could try replacing the hard drive if you think that is the problem...Maybe even put in a 60GB one.

The only problem is that it's still possible to boot the device even if the hard drive is broken/missing. The device not being able to turn on in no way points to a bad hard drive.

Aug 25, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RotAtoR
The only problem is that it's still possible to boot the device even if the hard drive is broken/missing. The device not being able to turn on in no way points to a bad hard drive.

Thanks that's useful info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back