Innovations in 3D Audio from the Dawn of VR (and other related technologies)
May 30, 2015 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Pazz

100+ Head-Fier
The title is kind of ambitious sounding, but VR right now is at a point where it's about to blow up, and it will inspire innovation in many industries. One may be audio. Currently, binaural audio hasn't been very popular, wide spread, or accessible. With new technologies that incorporate head tracking and other features, it makes sense that binaural audio would benefit. I want this thread to serve as a base of discussion for everything that will follow now and in the future from the innovations we will see these new technologies bring. 

To start us off, let me share one thing, that is tangible, with all of you. 

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/digital-audio-workstations-and-vr-audio/

Oculus VR, the people behind the Oculus Rift, are working on 3D audio, obviously. But now they have released a plugin that can give you previews of what it sounds like with their processing, very easily. It may be an interesting idea and something someone here might want to play around with, to additionally make a foobar config with this, as has been a popular thing to do on this forum. However, you would need to process each channel individually and mix together at the end, and I myself have not looked at whether there's a plugin that can do this. The sound may not even be very good depending on your ears and your setup.

Anyway, for now, that's all I'll disseminate. I have a lot more to share, but that will come as we get further into this subject! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back