Inner-Ear Headphone Ache
Jul 11, 2011 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kinnadian

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm a new user and hate to clutter your forum with simple questions but I'm kind of at the end of my rope with this problem and could really use some advice from experienced people.

I've always used in-ear earphones (mostly Ultimate Ears), and never had any ache unless using for a VERY long time. Recently I have purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD202-II and now I get inner-ear ache after 20-30 minutes of listening.

I listen at a very low volume so I don't think volume is a problem, but I am quite worried as I have done a reasonable amount of googling on the issue as most people say extended use with this ache will cause permanent damage.

The pain isn't THAT bad, I would describe it as a mixture of an irritating tickle and that feeling you get when you need to pop your ears during a plane trip.

I have read that some people recommend putting your headphones wrapped around a large object to get rid of the "clamping" effect (as this can in some cases cause pain), but it is hard to determine whether the people making the posts have external or internal ear ache... And I don't see how external clamping can cause internal pain.

Apart from selling the headphones and either going back to earphones, or trying another pair, are there any options to fix this? I'm considering going to my doctor, but I honestly doubt they will say anything other than try different headphones or go back to earphones (and take $40 of my money at the same time).

I appreciate any answers!

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 3
You probably are hearing a frequency that doesn't like you.

Or your headphones are compressing your ears too much and causing the ear to force into your skull.

the way to fix this it to find a headphone that either had low clamping force or a "super" over ear headphone that doesn't touch your headphone.

What you probably are looking at online are people who have inner ear pain caused by in ear headphones. IEM's, earbuds cause this. The solution to this is over ear headphones. But you need a good pair to give you goo comfort.

I get this:
I was in a fight as a teen and my ear was hit really hard. Now the cartilage of my ear is all screwed up. I've got my MDR-V6 which lay slightly on your ear, but is soft and lifts slightly off your head. After 4 hours, my right ear hurts the same way you say it. But then I wear my HD598 and my ear doesn't touch my headphone and this helps. IEM's without a good fit causes the same thing to me.

My solution, get better headphones or:
Add padding or make custom pads to your headphones to increase the distance of you ear to the headphone. Also, slide headphones off every 30 minutes for 5 minute breaks. Get better headphones too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back