Initial listening of "gapless" playback on iPod 5G
Sep 12, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 75
What compression (if you are) are you using? Just curious if Apples implementation of AAC ends up having gapless support.

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 75
can you hear an actual "pop?" that would be VERY annoying when listening to opera.

Sep 13, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 75
Interestingly Sony just recently fixed a gapless issue in their CONNECT store. I encode a decent amount of CDs using ATRAC, which is truly gapless. The problem was that any albums you downloaded from Sony in ATRAC format would play with tiny gaps. With the recent (and kind of odd) updates to SonicStage, they appear to have fixed this issue. I downloaded an album released September 6th and it was truly gapless.

Just a little tidbit for the 7 people here that use CONNECT :)

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 75
i've been listening to some tracks on itunes 7 and if there is a tiny gap, i can't hear it. listening to fritz reiner playing "rhapsody," which is broken up into a ton of separate tracks, i can't tell that there are any gaps.

from the keynote, steve said that gapless works on mp3, aac, ALAC, and wav/aiff...i encode my AAC tracks using max, and they sound pretty good...

Sep 13, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 75
xlEnt says:

Quote:

When I let the song play regularly there is infact no gap/blip and the transition is transparant.

It would make sense that "play regularly" would produce no and/or lessen the gapblip. If you play regularly, the iPod memory has time to process the transition between tracks.

It should be noted that your outcome may be the result of the size of your recording. The higher the bit rates, the more the memory is taxed. The more the memeory is taxed, the less memory for a clean transition between tracks.

WARNING: The Surgeon General Has Determined That Ripping At High Bit Rates Can Lead To GapBlip.

I rip at MP3 320 and I don't hear a gapblip, but I do hear a transition.

Just listened to other tracks and do not hear a transition.

The transition could be in the recording - I don't know.
etysmile.gif

Quote:

gap/blip

Do you think this will become the iPod detractors new battle cry - "I would consider an iPod if only it didn't have gapblip?
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 13, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
Do you think this will become the iPod detractors new battle cry - "I would consider an iPod if only it didn't have gapblip?
evil_smiley.gif

As in "after years of waiting would you pretty please implement it correctly"?
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, is gapless for real or not? Come on, do some testing, record on your PC and analyze the waveform, it's important for us lonesome Karma users!
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 75
Listening to the "new" gapless on an updated 5G i must admit i cant hear a gap
blink.gif

If your having trouble updating your iPod try this....

Plug in iPod, click 'ok' to update the firmware - iTunes now says it is updating ipod. When you notice the iPod is dismounted (i.e. the screen reverts from "do not disconnect" to normal screen) and iTunes still says "updating iPod" simply unplug the iPod and immediately plug it back in.

Ypud must have installed iTunes 7 first and the update ipod automatically appears !!

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 75
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

Haha well I've already heard one person crying that his opera music would be absolutely destroyed by the gapblip.. Gotta hate that millisecond of noise!

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #14 of 75
Ok, so I'll start by saying I'm a complete moron when it comes to the iPod, I'm planning to buy one in the next couple of days and had been planning on putting Rockbox on mainly for gapless playback but if gapless is now available on the iPod then I might not bother with the hassle.

I currently have much of my music ripped to FLAC in preparation for putting it on the iPod so I'd have to re-encode these for ALAC using dbpoweramp. I don't have an internet connection on the computer I'm using so reripping using iTunes 7 is not really possible.

My questions are these, first, if I re-encode to ALAC using dbpoweramp how to I go about loading them on to the iPod and second will I be able to get gapless do things this way?

Sep 13, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X
Haha well I've already heard one person crying that his opera music would be absolutely destroyed by the gapblip.. Gotta hate that millisecond of noise!

What I fail to understand *EVERY* time I read comments like these, is why on Earth people suddendly decided that it was (as hopefully this has been properly solved) all right for music to be altered from what we had been able to listen to with LPs, tapes and CDs. Really, why?

Why the irony moreover? Those milliseconds do not have a single damn reason to exist, some people's enjoyment of some kind of music is compromised by them and yet there's always, always somebody who couldn't care less and make fun of it.

To each his own (fun), I guess.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back