Initial iPod nano sales disappointing
Sep 15, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Whatever might have originally been true, it appears that sales of the 4 gig model are taking off. Ship times for the 4 gig Nano recently went from "w/in 24 hours" to "5 to 7 days", as reported yesterday at macnn.

I ordered an engraved 4GB black model (I'm in Canada). and the ship time is now delayed until Sept 26 from Sept 14th. I ordered on the 7th.

It sucks to be me!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Sep 15, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
If the report is true, then I think $/GB is the problem. People probably don't know or care what flash memory is vs. hard drive memory. Once they get over the tiny size of the nano, they realize that 6GB space is more than 4GB for $249 (or 4GB is better than 2GB for $199).

If you're buying a mini/nano. The small size is what's important. Go another $50 over the 6gb mini, and you get a 20gb ipodphoto. The 2gb nano would sell better if it were even smaller, but 4gb in that small package is selling out. The 2bg model is useless, and few will buy it, but the 4gb model will/is doing great.

Sep 15, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #49 of 57
I do have a worry about flash players. Isn’t there a maximum amount of writes, to these memory chips (ROM's)? I think so, but what will be the limit for these new flash player’s memory chips? Thanks.

Sep 15, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by __redruM
If you're buying a mini/nano. The small size is what's important. Go another $50 over the 6gb mini, and you get a 20gb ipodphoto. The 2gb nano would sell better if it were even smaller, but 4gb in that small package is selling out. The 2bg model is useless, and few will buy it, but the 4gb model will/is doing great.

If you compare even the price of the 2 gig to other 2 gig flash players 200 bucks isn't that bad of a price and 2 gig is a good size for a workout unit.

Sep 15, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #51 of 57
Don't you think this is maybe just a case of market saturation? The whole world has spent the last 2 years buying up iPods, Karmas, Creatives, etc. Maybe it's like cell phones. Everybody's got one so there isn't room for tremendous growth.

Sep 15, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
I do have a worry about flash players. Isn’t there a maximum amount of writes, to these memory chips (ROM's)? I think so, but what will be the limit for these new flash player’s memory chips? Thanks.

Yes there is. But it's something like 100,000 writes. And I believe flash memory has a controller which will evenly distribute data writes throughout the memory blocks so one area isn't written to 100,000 times and other areas only 10 times. I think on average there will be more writing to flash memory used in digital cameras than an mp3 player, so memory life shouldn't be a worry.

Sep 15, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #53 of 57
I concur that the 4GB looks like the real winner here. I'm not really in the market for a player of that capacity but if I were then this would surely be the one. Saying goodbye to HD issues would tip it, not to mention size and navigation.

The flash rewrite issue was discussed a while back in this forum, and consensus seemed to be that few people would use a player long enough to run into the problem.

Sep 15, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Seems this price points are too high for most here. Especially after costing out the add-ons. Dock, skin, etc.

+++

$29 USB AC adapter should be included.

$29 nano dock is way expensive.

$29 for an armband with one non-happy color is outrageous.

$39 earbud lanyard is unbelievable.

$29 for 5 cases when all you want is the non-girly color.

Sep 15, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads
If you compare even the price of the 2 gig to other 2 gig flash players 200 bucks isn't that bad of a price and 2 gig is a good size for a workout unit.

It's exactly what I thought. This was a bargain 2gb flash player, and with the UI of the Ipod. Perfect for basic applications like working out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back