Initial iPod nano sales disappointing
Sep 14, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodent
Most of Apple's crowd don't know why the hell they'd want flash, nor why the Nano is more expensive than the Mini, per GB. Really, they've been jogging with their minis and doing whatever, so why would they want to pay a higher price for memory that doesn't seem any better?

In my opinion, the 4gb Mini was at a great price point with student discount. It also had one big advantage that made me get it instead of a Micro, battery life.

Battery life depends on so many things. For the user who likes to keep switching songs and skipping between playlists I'll bet the Nano will last longer battery-wise. For the user who loads up a playlist and listens until its completion will do better with a Mini.

Sep 14, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by notnormal
The iPod Nano is entering a saturated flash market and isn't offering anything controversial. As a result it's also getting less media attention. When the iPod mini was introduced, people exclaimed who would pay so much for 4 GB when they can pay another $50 and get a regular iPod. When the Shuffle was introduced, people exclaimed how can you not have a screen. The iPod nano is not revolutionary/controversial like past iPod players. It's more like a refinement and a merger between the shuffle and the mini. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing outstanding to it, except for the fact that there are 2GB and 4GB flash models. However, to the general public that does'nt mean much especially since they see that mini comes in 4GB and 6GB.

The fact that it is thinner than a pencil and still has a clickwheel and color is pretty revolutionary. Tell me who else offers a 2GB or 4GB player anything like it?

The wholesale cost of 4GB of flash memory is $180, so only Apple right now being the market leader has the leverage to negotiate prices for flash memory that enables a product like the Nano.

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #34 of 57
Didn't that article mention initial Mini sales were disspointing as well?

It needs time. I don't know if the general populous (ie. those who don't read geek sites like Engadget) are too aware of it yet.

A friend brought his black nano over last night and I was very impressed. This is a product that simply can't not succeed.

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #35 of 57
There's mp3 player market saturation and we're about to go back into recession in another quarter or two.

What did they expect?

The nano looks like a great product (especially in comparison to the mini), but haven't we seen this before?

-Matt

Sep 15, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #36 of 57
Also, you've got the fact that they haven't had that much time in between generations. You just got your 4G (HDD) and Shuffle (auxiliary flash) several months ago--why do you want a Nano?

What did they expect?

Sep 15, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #37 of 57
I think sales will pick up. For one thing, the old ipod commercials were among the most annoying on TV, I actually like the new one. It kinda gives you an idea of what it would be like to feel in your hand, much better than those dancing around silhouette put to crapty music.

I think this has more to do with current economics trends, gas prices, etc.

Sep 15, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #38 of 57
I think Katrina had a big influence on many potential consumers and money spent.

that and apple releasing a new generation every season is also another reason. I dont think many people would want to own more then two ipods.

Sep 15, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #39 of 57
People seem to be missing the point raised in the second article and something I noticed today, which is that there seems to be hundreds of 2Gb Nanos available but the 4Gb ones are not to be found anywhere. This means either Apple didn't produce as many 4Gb Nanos due to possible projected weaker sales or lack of memory chips, or that the public are wanting the greater storage space and they are therefore selling out. Only time will tell which is better, but personally I think a 4Gb flash player for £180 is better than a 6Gb hard drive player for the same price, particularly when you consider that it is a third of the size and weight.

Sep 15, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
People seem to be missing the point raised in the second article and something I noticed today, which is that there seems to be hundreds of 2Gb Nanos available but the 4Gb ones are not to be found anywhere. This means either Apple didn't produce as many 4Gb Nanos due to possible projected weaker sales or lack of memory chips, or that the public are wanting the greater storage space and they are therefore selling out. Only time will tell which is better, but personally I think a 4Gb flash player for £180 is better than a 6Gb hard drive player for the same price, particularly when you consider that it is a third of the size and weight.

Definitely an early run on 4GB units in the Houston, Texas market. First flash-4GB player got my attention - the 2GB was beginning to arrive in the marketplace, but Apple leap-frogged everyone there. Mine will be here tomorrow; not sure if I'll be keeping the mini or not. 4GB flash certainly appears to be a 'sweet spot' out there, and one which is now in the exclusive domain of the iPod.

Sep 15, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
The fact that it is thinner than a pencil and still has a clickwheel and color is pretty revolutionary. Tell me who else offers a 2GB or 4GB player anything like it?

That's evolutionary not revolutionary strictly by definition. Several flash players offer 1GB of memory. The PNY Vibe 2.0GB flash MP3 Player has been available long before the nano was introduced. There are several mini players that offer 4GB or more, albeit via a hard drive. The general public may not care how this is achieved. Other manufacturers can't use a click wheel because of patent issues, but it does exist on the iPod and the mini. Several other flash/hard drive players already offer a color screen. There are players still smaller than the nano. By definition there's nothing revolutionary about the nano. Many of the features have already appeared in one form or another. However, the nano is evolutionary for combining the small size with larger flash memory, color screen, and a click wheel.

Sep 15, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zakalwe
Drifting off-topic, I think that only writing "ipod" instead of "the ipod" or "an ipod" makes the article´s author sound quite dumb. I know that Apple thinks they get to redefine the rules of the English language to contain exceptions for their products for some odd reason, but I don´t get how some people can be so devoted that they feel the need to imitate Apple´s caveman-pseudo-English.

i think it might be an add campeign. that's how you refer to a person. you say john is doing well, you dont say the john is doing well. i think they are trying to get us to think of ipods as intelligent little beings that we should respect and worship. or maybe they are just lazy
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #43 of 57
If the report is true, then I think $/GB is the problem. People probably don't know or care what flash memory is vs. hard drive memory. Once they get over the tiny size of the nano, they realize that 6GB space is more than 4GB for $249 (or 4GB is better than 2GB for $199).

That, or they looked at the display models, saw how scratched, oily, scuffed, and damaged they were and passed. One day on display and the nanos looked worse than iPods that have been on display for months.

Sep 15, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Not so at all. Apple currently has a very expensive advertising campaign going for the Nano. I must have seen the TV ad a dozen times while watching for a couple of hours last night.

Geez, how can you be watching television now with the in the middle of the awful pre-Fall-season-nothing-but-crappy-rerun period? The ads may be in heavy rotation, but this is a cheap advertising inventory period, will low viewership. Give it time.

Sep 15, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #45 of 57
Whatever might have originally been true, it appears that sales of the 4 gig model are taking off. Ship times for the 4 gig Nano recently went from "w/in 24 hours" to "5 to 7 days", as reported yesterday at macnn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back