Initial iPod nano sales disappointing
Sep 14, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 57
What were the sales for the ipod mini during its initial release? The mini went on to become a huge success. There is so much buzz about this device where i work among people not normally excited by technology, that I can only speculate how successful it's going to be.

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #17 of 57
I think that September is not a great buying season for most. The release will allow Apple to iron out any bugs that may crop up in time for Christmas. By then it is still likely to be 'most wanted'.

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I think that September is not a great buying season for most. The release will allow Apple to iron out any bugs that may crop up in time for Christmas. By then it is still likely to be 'most wanted'.

Agreed. Most users depend on their parents to buy them a mp3 player, so i imagine in December the numbers will shoot through the roof.

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #19 of 57
A couple of factors may be in play here as well, one of which is Apple's fault and the other is not.

What's not is the general skittishness in the market because of Katrina and gas prices. I know many companies are going to miss projections because of it.

The other thing is expectations from the customer base. Apple's SOP has been to announce a really cool new product and then have nowhere near enough to meet demand. That certainly was the case with the mini and to a lesser degree with the shuffle. So I suspect many like me are planning to buy one but dont expect to be able to get one.

I have mine but it was a fluke that I was in the Apple store when they received a shipment of them. I had gone to the store to buy other stuff.

I'll lay money that this will be a huge seller especially as we get closer to christmas.

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #21 of 57
The iPod Nano is entering a saturated flash market and isn't offering anything controversial. As a result it's also getting less media attention. When the iPod mini was introduced, people exclaimed who would pay so much for 4 GB when they can pay another $50 and get a regular iPod. When the Shuffle was introduced, people exclaimed how can you not have a screen. The iPod nano is not revolutionary/controversial like past iPod players. It's more like a refinement and a merger between the shuffle and the mini. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing outstanding to it, except for the fact that there are 2GB and 4GB flash models. However, to the general public that does'nt mean much especially since they see that mini comes in 4GB and 6GB.

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #22 of 57
apple need to fully ramp up their media hype machine, to get people to the stores. Once they see the thing, the mini wont cut it for most. I know my wife, upon seeing my nano, is already considering selling her 2 week old mini (6gig) as well, i brought it in to work yesterday, and at least 4 people are going ot buy one (well, according to them, guess we will see if they realy do outlay the cash) once they get into stores finally.

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #23 of 57
I agree with the posts above. This things will sell soon enough. Apple's stealth announcement about the Nano seems to have all but guranteed that it wouldn't sell well in the first week. I think a lot of people still don't know about it. Give 'em time.

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #25 of 57
It's strange since IMHO this is the only iPod worth buying. The Shufle just sucks, and there are better HD players. But no one else has a flash player at this capacity.

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #26 of 57
For me at least, the lack of accessories is the only thing keeping me from purchasing the nano right now, specifically the lack of a case, be it Apple's or a third-party. Even though the point of the nano is to enjoy music, I still do not want it all scratched up. Some of the other accessories seem intriguing as well, like the nano dock (even though you can still use other ipod docks, right?), and even the AC adaptor. However, none of these are available for immediate order from apple.com, or in the Apple stores (the only thing my local store has are the armbands). I don't imagine the general public shares these views, but if I could get my hands on a good case, I would purchase the nano today.

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #27 of 57
I think it's too early to judge.

You can't even buy it in most stores yet. Out of stock in a lot of Apple stores, and BB, CC don't even have it yet.

Christmas season will be the real guage. I think this will be the biggest hit ever.

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #28 of 57
A lot of people already have some form of "ipod", why should they get another if the one they have is still alive and kickin'?

Although yeah, sales will probably pick up during the holidays etc.

Sep 14, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #29 of 57
Maybe the nano news got lost in the Sony announcements of the same day?
blink.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
A lot of people already have some form of "ipod", why should they get another if the one they have is still alive and kickin'?

What a silly forum to be asking that question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back