Initial iPod nano sales disappointing
Sep 14, 2005 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
See here.
blink.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 57
My first thought was that this is due to people paying iPod Mini prices and getting a lot less storage. Mr. Wu seems to share that theory. Most people want more storage, and if they're getting less storage they don't understand why they shouldn't pay significantly less for it. I bet a lot of people have no clue how expensive high-capacity flash chips are.

That article mentioned that increases in storage or price drops on the Nano might be needed if sales continue to be lower than projected. I'm sure both will happen in due time, but the question is: How soon? I'd hate to buy a Nano and have them up the storage to 6-8GB or slash the prices by $50 soon thereafter...

Sep 14, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 57
they'll sell...not to worry. as soon as the holiday shopping starts ramping up, nanos will sell well. they really are quite small and nice to look at, even if you're not an ipod fan.

Sep 14, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 57
How aware is the average ipod-buyer of Apple´s new releases? I bet the vast majority do not hang out at audio forums or check the stores for new gadgets every day. Most people probably do not know about the Nano yet. But once the Nano becomes more widespread and people see other people with Nanos, then I wouldn´t be surprised to see sales growing. And I say that as someone who doesn´t like ipods at all.

Drifting off-topic, I think that only writing "ipod" instead of "the ipod" or "an ipod" makes the article´s author sound quite dumb. I know that Apple thinks they get to redefine the rules of the English language to contain exceptions for their products for some odd reason, but I don´t get how some people can be so devoted that they feel the need to imitate Apple´s caveman-pseudo-English.

Sep 14, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 57
My local Apple Store sold out of the 4G NANO's in 2 days. Dammit. I wanted one and I wanted one NOW!

Sep 14, 2005 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 57
it *is* nice.. but more than little pricey certainly.

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zakalwe
How aware is the average ipod-buyer of Apple´s new releases? I bet the vast majority do not hang out at audio forums or check the stores for new gadgets every day. Most people probably do not know about the Nano yet. But once the Nano becomes more widespread and people see other people with Nanos, then I wouldn´t be surprised to see sales growing. And I say that as someone who doesn´t like ipods at all.

Drifting off-topic, I think that only writing "ipod" instead of "the ipod" or "an ipod" makes the article´s author sound quite dumb. I know that Apple thinks they get to redefine the rules of the English language to contain exceptions for their products for some odd reason, but I don´t get how some people can be so devoted that they feel the need to imitate Apple´s caveman-pseudo-English.

I saw a nano TV commercial (think it was a football game or something), so they've begun the media onslaught. Our nearest Apple store was out of 4GB black ones. Some areas may be quicker to catch on than others.

Dropping the 'the' or 'an' articles is not just AppleSpeak, it's been a trend in the language in general. You'll often see a newspaper story refer to 'City Council' instead of 'the City Council' or whatever.

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 57
Most of Apple's crowd don't know why the hell they'd want flash, nor why the Nano is more expensive than the Mini, per GB. Really, they've been jogging with their minis and doing whatever, so why would they want to pay a higher price for memory that doesn't seem any better?

In my opinion, the 4gb Mini was at a great price point with student discount. It also had one big advantage that made me get it instead of a Micro, battery life.

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodent
Most of Apple's crowd don't know why the hell they'd want flash, nor why the Nano is more expensive than the Mini, per GB. Really, they've been jogging with their minis and doing whatever, so why would they want to pay a higher price for memory that doesn't seem any better?

In my opinion, the 4gb Mini was at a great price point with student discount. It also had one big advantage that made me get it instead of a Micro, battery life.

Yeah, valid observations. One key area is it's kind of hard to pin down just who the 'Apple crowd' is. Students? Kids with no cash? Mature gentlemen (
icon10.gif
)? Women who cling to those goofy colors? Clearly there's way more to the market success equation than dollars per GB.

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 57
I don't think they have a certain crowd in that way. Apple's crowd is anyone who wants music and isn't a geek, really
smily_headphones1.gif
Honestly, for them an iPod is good enough, there's no need to go elsewhere. Sometimes I feel the same, I'm fed up with making difficult choices like whether I want a HD5 or an X5, weighing one feature against another, and just feel like getting an iPod, because it IS a good player still.

I think the major drawback of the Nano is memory and price, you could get a 5-6gb Micro for the price of the 2gb Nano. Is the Nano cool enough to grant the higher price or lesser space? Not for everyone it seems. Of course, first they need to actually hear about other players before that is an issue
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #12 of 57
I read somewhere that the average Ipod user keeps 300 or so songs on it -- hence the popularity of the Mini.

Frankly, it takes work to load up music onto a computer -- even/especially if you have a large collection. I have more than 1000 CDs but only had the stomach to load about 300 of them.

The moral is that if space mattered all that much the Mini would not have been a success. It's only recently that it went to 6GB and it sold very nicely at 4GB.

As for the supposedly slow sales -- how foolishly premature. The week after Labor Day is notoriously difficult, as many people are returning to school, work, etc after summer vacations. Plus, the word is not yet fully out except to Apple geeks who troll the web for new product info. Wait until people start to use them in public -- this thing will sell like hotcakes. It is just way too cool!

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 57
Memory in relation to price is important, not memory alone.
I know people who've had like 500mb of music on the 20gb iPod, I bet that's how most ipod hdds look like.

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Plus, the word is not yet fully out except to Apple geeks who troll the web for new product info.

Not so at all. Apple currently has a very expensive advertising campaign going for the Nano. I must have seen the TV ad a dozen times while watching for a couple of hours last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back