Initial impressions on W5000
Jul 7, 2006 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
O.K, so almost ampless(using my PA2v2) and with not a very decent source (X5L DAP) after getting the suitable adatpter (1/4"->1/8") from radioshcak, I finally set down and listen to my new fresh out of the box W5000
evil_smiley.gif

First strike: Dream Theatre, Album=Awake Track=#1 (6:00) HOLY COW
basshead.gif
!!! the drums !!! so clear, so tight, so so.... real !!!
Amazing ! I repeated that part 3 times in a row just to make sure I wasn't dreaming or my mind dosen't play tricks on me !
Detail is by far more than what I have expected ! noise level is very low, the upper extension is moderate and very balanced with no harsh, coloration or what so ever artifact ! Me Like
cool.gif

Sound is very open, but not like grado open, just open ! the sound is also very airy, light, a real treat.
dynamics is there, you can (not)hear it, becuase everything is there, from the little guitar note to the biggest drum in the image !
so nothing feels "wrong" as you usually feel when dynamics, detail or PRAT is not right.

Next thing, "Dream Theatre - Strem of Consequences", wow, the guitar is so clear again, and the soundstage all along the song, is clear, wide (not as wide as K-340, but much more than my HF-1) and everything is pin point place, as everybody said.

The mids are just a bit upfront, just the way I like it, I think there is just a slight hint of coloration in the mids, but really nothing special and critical, most cases it is not noticable !
aside from that, the mid is very good IMO, the strongest point of this can, the drums are superb !
The sound has tendency to be slim on the lower end, though slam and impact is there, I guess the "SP Slam" will make things better here
very_evil_smiley.gif

All in all, out of the box they sound great, and I know that my home rig (SB3-->MPX3 Slam) will make things much better, and so will the Brake in.

They are really intimate in their listening, not much of a seal for a closed can, but more than enough, its funny, because the sound dosen't reminds me a closed can at all !
cool.gif

I'll start the brake in period, more impressions to come fox...
600smile.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 40
Nice! Keep the impressions coming. I think these are going to be my next phones. I've been debating between the W5000s, a pair of Ultrasones, or Grado GS1000s. Just need to keep the collection going.

Jul 7, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum
I've been debating between the W5000s, a pair of Ultrasones, or Grado GS1000s.

I've got the gs-1000s and the w5000s - definitely go for the w5000s.

I've been meaning to post my (no so positive) impressions of the gs-1000s, but haven't sat down and done a really critical evaluation yet. Mostly, I just haven't found a spot for them in my line up. Totally happy with the w5000s though.

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 40
Very cool to see you're digging the W5K's. I just got done recabling my pair today, so I'm going through new headphone sydrome over again a bit as well. It's hard to say the exact impact of balancing, since I also recabled them, and built some new XLR interconnects as well. At this point it seems to have made transient response a bit better even, so the headphone is more direct and viceral sounding. I am making an XLR-1/4" adapter sometime soon, so I will get the full scoop on just exactly the impact of balanced operation on these headphones, as compared to single-ended.

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Very cool to see you're digging the W5K's. I just got done recabling my pair today, so I'm going through new headphone sydrome over again a bit as well. It's hard to say the exact impact of balancing, since I also recabled them, and built some new XLR interconnects as well. At this point it seems to have made transient response a bit better even, so the headphone is more direct and viceral sounding. I am making an XLR-1/4" adapter sometime soon, so I will get the full scoop on just exactly the impact of balanced operation on these headphones, as compared to single-ended.

Pics!
wink.gif

What did you end up using? a single 4 pin XLR? Or dual 3 pin XLR's?

-Ed

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 40
It would seem that a lot of W5000s were delivered today.

I got mine as well.

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Pics!
wink.gif

What did you end up using? a single 4 pin XLR? Or dual 3 pin XLR's?

-Ed

I ended up using headroom's "standard," and found that making the y-parts for the cables was not nearly the PITA I had imagined. Just 4 layers of 3:1 heatshrink, and it's good to go (cue the ZZ-top style Taco bell commercial gesture). Between the headphones, XLR IC's, and a mini-mini, I kept myself busy all afternoon (mostly threading cable through nylon multifilament techflex
wink.gif
). Pics will follow tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
It would seem that a lot of W5000s were delivered today.

I got mine as well.

And what are your comments ?

Congrats too man !
eggosmile.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 40
You really want to here what I have to say about the W5000 out of the box. Well, it will come at the price of hearing about the other two headphones that I can compare them with.

I do not want to take the Mr.Shadow's thread away from him....so

I will post this shortly in its own thread.... and I will edit this for the link.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...81&postcount=1

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
Um, comments please! Long, long comments. Don't worry about burn-in or anything like that. We don't mind.

Thanks, and congrats on the new phones!
eggosmile.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 40
well, that is very considerate of you slwiser thank you
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #13 of 40
Personally, I almost hated the W5000 straight out of the box, but they changed staggeringly with burn in.

They are definately the least veiled dynamic headphone I've ever heard, prehaps less even than the HE60 in a straight race, but that comes at the cost of lack of layering in the soundstaging, giving it a sort of cartoony feel to me.

Good headphones, just not my cup of tea, I guess.

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 40
Mr. Shadow - congrats! Give it time to properly burn-in, ideally on a dummy head or your own, as the leather pads will "grow on you", enabling a better seal over time. One caveat: The much touted 3D-wings headband / supension system isn't much to write home about. Depending on the size of your head, you may want to do a little careful bending of the metal headband to get a good fit.

Your amping choice is great as well.
biggrin.gif
The W5000 FR will change significantly with proper tubes. I have found a wonderful, albeit costly combination of tubes that add the perfect icing on the cake of the W5000.

Happy listening!

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Personally, I almost hated the W5000 straight out of the box, but they changed staggeringly with burn in.

They are definately the least veiled dynamic headphone I've ever heard...

W5000 had tight and bass lacking (even fatiguing) sound at first but now when they have over 200 hours on them they're very enjoyable.

I've many times wondered what's the main quality of W5000 which makes them so addictive. My first guess would be the clearness of the sound and specially vocals. Vocals are always represented with utmost clarity, no matter what you're listening. When I had W5000 in loan and had HD650, RS-2 and SA5000 at the same time I didn't want to listen to any of those. W5000 got all of my attention. When I picked up any of the other three they always sounded somehow muffled and veiled (even SA5000!) so I always went back to W5000. Though I miss my HD650 every now and then because of its other great qualities.

About the bass, it could have more weight but the slam and speed of it is the best I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back